Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror/reverse house plans

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jimoly
4867 Views, 9 Replies

Mirror/reverse house plans

I have a set of house plans with several layouts (foundation, floor plan, elevation view, etc).  Is there an easy way to mirror/reverse everything without going to model spce and doing individual objects,  and then having to redo the viewports??

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: jimoly

Mirror them inside the viewports not an option (while inside the viewport of course)?
Message 3 of 10
tq1918

I did not reply because I didn’t want to be the conveyor of bad news.  You may just have to suck it up copy your drawings in model space diagonally and mirror them and rebuild viewports. 

I was interested to see if anyone else had any amazing ideas… but I didn’t wanna leave you hangin.

As a useless side note, if your text (or dims) happen to be in paper space and you want to get them into your other viewports of a different scale.  You can copy the original text with a base point, hide the original text, paste new text and _CHSPACE.  Go to new viewport and _CHSPACE again.  Unisolate/ unhide original text too.  

Message 4 of 10
jimoly
in reply to: pendean

Most of the viewports take up the whole sheet;  and mirroring will shift the objects out of the viewport.......unless I am missing something.

Message 5 of 10
jimoly
in reply to: tq1918

Thanks tq....and  I'm thinking you are right.  I did mirror everything in model space and "reset" a named viewport to the mirrored set of objects.  Looks like I'll learn more about naming and managing viewports in the process.

Message 6 of 10
pendean

So PAN them back into place in the viewport...? You can use CHSPACE command to move a control line/point from paperspace into your viewport to make it easier to do.
Message 7 of 10
tadams.student

At my job we do a lot of house plans for residential builders so for one client, we need mirrored versions of every plan (ie a garage right and a garage left). We draw the floor plans, foundation plan, framing, and roof plans on top of each other so everything is lined up, then layer in the different viewports so each phase is visible in each different layout tab. For mirroring, we select everything in model space and mirror it all at once. You do have to realign some viewports but it's minimal. The annoying thing is that any text or text attribute within a block ends up mirrored so you then go into each viewport and individually mirror pieces of text. The whole process takes usually 1-2 hours depending on the size if the house and how many extra garage options the plan has (extended car garage, three car garage, dropped garage). Also we project the elevations around the floor plans. It helps with drawing the elevations because they're perfectly lined up with the corresponding wall. Also you can use projection lines from the roof plan to find hips, valleys and overframed areas when drawing the roofs. I'm guessing you're probably set up differently so any of my mirroring tips may be useless however. I think it's just best to find new tricks as you do them
Message 8 of 10
nichkherbsman

Can you attach the file here. Then I will post a screen cast.

NiCHKCiD
BIM Modeler
Technical Officer
Technical Designer
Sr. Draftsman
Message 9 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

Most of the viewports take up the whole sheet;  and mirroring will shift the objects out of the viewport.......unless I am missing something.

@pendean wrote:
So PAN them back into place in the viewport...? You can use CHSPACE command to move a control line/point from paperspace into your viewport to make it easier to do.

[If @jimoly is still paying attention after going-on 3 years....]

You can Mirror things accurately within a Viewport, without any shifting, or the need to Pan back into the right position [with or without a control point/line].  Get into Model space in the Viewport, start a Mirror command, select everything you want to flip, and at the "first point of mirror line:" prompt, put in:

(getvar 'viewctr)

[with Osnap off], which will give you the exact center of the active Viewport, not of the paper space it's in.  Then the second point of the Mirror axis is easy with Ortho on, or with @0,1 [assuming left-right Mirroring, but maybe you need @1,0 for top-bottom sometimes].  The result will have everything the same distances from the Viewport edges, but on the other side, as they were before.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 10 of 10
rculp
in reply to: tadams.student

@tadams.student wrote:
 The annoying thing is that any text or text attribute within a block ends up mirrored so you then go into each viewport and individually mirror pieces of text. 

MIRRTEXT=0

TEXT or MTEXT inside blocks will still mirror, but TEXT/MTEXT outside blocks and attributes will not.

Better yet, annotate in PS ... (where it belongs)

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost