Did you mean: 

Migrating settings from 2010 to 2015

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
nmcook1
1544 Views, 11 Replies

Migrating settings from 2010 to 2015

How do I migrate my Autocad 2010 classic menu settings to 2015 on a new computer?  Not sure if this matters but the old computer has Windows XP 32 bit and the new one has Windows 7 64 bit.  I don't adapt easily so I hope this migration is possible.

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: nmcook1

Each of those AutoCAD versions comes with a migration export/import option I believe: big giant Windows Button>All programs>Autodesk>AutoCAD 20xx>Migrate Custom Settings>explore the options.
Message 3 of 12
nmcook1
in reply to: pendean

Thank you.  I looked at that in the Help menu in Autocad and it appears to be for transfering the same release between two computers.  I'm not sure how it will handle going from 2010 to 2015.  If there are no other options I will try that.  Thanks again.

Message 4 of 12
rkmcswain

Can you better define what you mean by "classic menu settings"? Are you referring to a saved, named workspace?
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 12
nmcook1
in reply to: rkmcswain

Yes, the classic workspace that I have changed with custom toolbars.

Message 6 of 12
tom.bucci

Please look at this article with instructions on how to do this migration. 

How to migrate settings in AutoCAD

Tom Bucci
Message 7 of 12
nmcook1
in reply to: tom.bucci

Thank you.  I will try that when my new computer is ready.  I was able to export my 2010 settings to a zip file.  Hopefully they will import on the new computer in 2015.

Message 8 of 12
tom.bucci

Importing the exported file must be done within the same version, so you would have to have 2010 installed on the new computer, import in and then run the migration to 2015. I don't think you will be able to install 2010 on the new computer, at least not while 2015 is already installed.

Tom Bucci
Message 9 of 12
bryce.thelin

AutoCAD 2010 can be installed along side 2015 on Windows 7. AutoCAD 2015 will not install on Windows XP. It should be possible to:

1. Copy your exported AutoCAD 2010 settings to the Windows 7 computer.
  2. Install AutoCAD 2010.
  3. Import the settings.
  4. Use the migration utility for AutoCAD 2015 to migrate from 2010.

However, the classic workspace is no longer supported in AutoCAD 2015, so you may want to forgo all this. We have this article on our web site:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/The-AutoCAD-classic-workspace-is-not-available-in-AutoCAD-2015

It may be best to set things up from scratch, using the CUI editor to transfer over the workspace.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 10 of 12
nmcook1
in reply to: bryce.thelin

Thank you, I think that is probably what I will do.  I will import my classic workspace .cuix file.  Everything else I can recreate.  When the classic workspace is no longer available I will just type in commands rather than search for them on the ribbon.  I know a lot of people who do that now.

Message 11 of 12
JohnBell7766

Message 12 of 12
nmcook1
in reply to: JohnBell7766

Thank you!  That is good.  I printed it for reference.  I was able to export my profile and workspace from the old computer and import to the new and I am working on 2015 Mechanical with my old custom (classic) menu.  It's like an old friend.  I don't look forward to the day when I can't use it anymore.   Other people here are struggling with the ribbon even after months of using it.  Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost