AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
john.mckay
Message 1 of 12 (14,234 Views)

Migrate settings

14234 Views, 11 Replies
04-25-2012 08:08 AM

I have Product Design Suite Premium 2013, AutoCAD 2013 and AutoCAD Electric 2012 on my W7-64 machine.  In ACADE 2012, one can also run a generic AutoCAD.  That generic AutoCAD 2012 has a highly customized Classic Workspace that has evolved over many years.  I want to migrate that CUI to the new AutoCAD 2013.

1. Under Programs / Autodesk / AutoCAD 2013 / Migrate Custom Settings / Migrate from Previous Release, I get a popup “Migrate Profiles requires that AutoCAD 2000 or a later version be installed on your system.”  Does not ACADE 2012 meet this criteria?
  2. Ok, so let me try to migrate the ACAD 2012 CUI to the PDSP ACADE 2013 and from there migrate it to the ACAD 2013.
  3. Under Programs / Autodesk / AutoCAD Electric 2013 / Migrate Custom Settings there is only “Export AutoCAD 2013 Settings” and “Import AutoCAD 2013 Settings” and “Migrate from Previous Release” is not there.  So much for Migrate.
  4. OK, so let me try to Transfer the customization files.  In the 2012 Customize User Interface window, “Customize” tab, my customized menus and toolbars appear under “Partial Customization Files”.  When I press the “Transfer” Tab, the “Partial Customization Files” disappear from the stack and are now not there to transfer.  The “Partial Customization Files” only exist under the “Customize” tab.  So much for transfer.  See attached 2012 CUI captures, C=Customize tab, T=Transfer tab.

Any ideas how I can EASILY migrate my AutoCAD 2012 custom menus and toolbars to AutoCAD 2013?

Thanks for any help.

Valued Contributor
mmelechinsky
Message 2 of 12 (14,209 Views)

Re: Migrate settings

04-25-2012 09:50 AM in reply to: john.mckay

None of my customizations got ported over to AutoCAD 2013 from 2012.  Life sucks then you switch to an AutoCAD clone.

Valued Contributor
ndra
Message 3 of 12 (14,140 Views)

05-03-2012 03:05 AM in reply to: mmelechinsky

I'm interested in this, too, but haven't tried it yet. If you install 2013 on top of 2012, doesn't it migrate the profile automatically? I think it did in previous versions. Also, we should be able to do it manually, eg copy-paste the custom cuix, aws and the rest of the files. Anyone tried it yet?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 12 (14,135 Views)

05-03-2012 05:05 AM in reply to: john.mckay

Where do you store your custom CUIx files? Hopefully a central location and not buried under 2012, then all you need to do in 2013 is add that folder(s) to the search path in OPTIONS>Files tab, followed by CUILOAD command to load it/them and then remember to save your workspace.

If you've never organized your customizations into their own central folder(s) before now is a good time to start taking control.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
john.mckay
Message 5 of 12 (14,128 Views)

05-03-2012 06:50 AM in reply to: pendean

Good mornign Dean,

No I have never put the customization files in a seperate forlder.  Year after year I rebuild my CUI because the "Migrate Custom Settings" has never worked for me.  This is just the first time I have complained that it doesn't work.  If Migrate CUI worked, why would I need to keep these file in a location other than where ACAD puts them.  I though I would be masochistic again this year and try Migrate once more.  As stated in my original post, with ACADE 2012 installed on my machine, when trying to invoke the AutoCAD 2013 / Migrate Custom Settings / Migrate from Previous Release, I get the attached popup error (see attached file).  This is all a moot point now as I have rebuilt my CUI.  This has forced me to become rather adept at configuring my CUI.  Rebuilding my CUI has actally taken less time than the total time spent messing about with the Migrate utility and writing these emails.  Thank you for your reply.  I do not wantr to seem ingrateful.  Just a little frustrated that something that should work does not, and at least for me, for whatever reason, never has.  Or, maybe its just me.  I will look into your suggestion about relocating the files and adjusting the search paths although right now I have burnt enough time getting 2013 up and running.

Projects await.  Have to run.  Thanks again.  Mark "Accept as solution" and close if you wish.

JDM

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 6 of 12 (14,119 Views)

05-03-2012 07:29 AM in reply to: john.mckay

As the thread originator *you* are responsible for determine which replies are marked as "answers".  :smileyhappy:

It sounds like you are trying to migrate an AutoCAD Electrical CUIx to an AutoCAD CUIx.  The migration tool sees it as Electrical, not AutoCAD, in origin so won't upgrade it.  I'll bet if you use the migration tool from Electrical on an Electrical CUIx it would work.  Best bet is to house your workspace in a separate custom CUIx file.  That way with future releases you can simply copy the file and load that copy as Main, letting the program take care of any upgrades for you.

And no - I've never gotten migrate settings to work either.  But I don't do incremental upgrades, instead every three-four years so it's better off to do a full rebuild in the first place.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 12 (14,108 Views)

05-03-2012 10:42 AM in reply to: john.mckay

I've never used or relied on the Migration tool as I keep all of my customizations separate, including separate CUIx files: no surprises, no misses, no new features missing because an old version promary menu took over, no relying on others to move things for me. With every upgrade we implement, we are talking at most 30-minutes of my time to be fully moved other and running.

And I learned a very long time ago to never ever add customizations to the core OOTB Menu/CUI/CUIx file: back in the day an AutoCAD updates also replaced your menu file too.

Now you know and you can move forward and never look back again: as noted above, you cannot migrate from verticals to plain AutoCAD or different verticals with the built-in tools. Hopefully that's not what you were trying to do.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
process_solutions
Message 8 of 12 (13,437 Views)

08-28-2012 09:12 AM in reply to: pendean

2. Under Programs / Autodesk / AutoCAD Electric 2013 / Migrate Custom Settings there is only “Export AutoCAD 2013 Settings” and “Import AutoCAD 2013 Settings” and “Migrate from Previous Release” is not there.  So much for Migrate.

This is what I have too.  The 3rd option for simplified migration simply doesn't exist.  In my case, I am going from AutoCAD Electrical 2010 to AutoCAD Electrical 2013.  I was really looking forward to the "Simplified Migration" but so far there is no such thing.  I have instead found I may have to manually port every last detail manually.  I have been using AutoCAD since R12 DOS version & whethered many a migration, but as such have not had any training to learn some of the more central features of the Customize User Interface improvements, so have instead managed to "find my way" through the ports manually in each case, usually by having to manually edit the menu files etc..

I did find this http://www.widom-assoc.com/AU-CP11-1.pdf which I am now studying so as to help reduce the migration head-ache that I had expected by all advertising to be a "Simplified Migration".

My hope is that even though the option for "Upgrade from Previous Version" is not selectable from the start menu, it might be available if I search for the executeable?  I would LOVE to "import" my PGP, Plotters, Toolbars & Ribbons from a previous version as advertised.  I believe I have made some fundamental mistake in "where" I have stored my customizations as described in the Original Post.

Is there any portion of the forum dedicated to training users in the least painful step by step procedure for migrating their previous system?  I have a BEAUTIFUL well functioning AutoCAD 2010 currently & temporariliy functioning on the same Win 7 64-bit machine & am at a loss for appropriate words to describe my current (although temporary) frustration with "Simplified Migration".

I could really use a pointer or 2, but will eventually solve this the old fashioned (& unnecessarily) hard way.  I just wanted to chime in to this subject & share that link for those who are like myself a little mystified as to the CUIX system.  I am hoping to polish up my new installation and then PAINLESSLY (if that is even a viable possibility - I am losing faith lol) share that VERY robust customization effort with my co-workers machine without going through every single step manually again.

Regards,

Sean

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 9 of 12 (13,421 Views)

08-28-2012 11:07 AM in reply to: process_solutions

Some clarity would help - are you working with AutoCAD, or AutoCAD Electrical?  These are not the same thing.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Valued Contributor
process_solutions
Message 10 of 12 (13,420 Views)

08-28-2012 11:20 AM in reply to: dgorsman

I have AutoCAD Electrical 2010 & 2013 installed, but use the Electrical 2010 Add on only as a symbol library resource & use it primarily as basic AutoCAD.

As we are an industrial systems integrator our drawing sets are more complex than can be readily managed by what appears to be a onesy-twosy panel-centric electrical package.  Our drawing sets are system sets containing multiple panels versus single panel sets & are related to other such sets separate from each other.  I one day hope to make productive & effective use of the Electrical add on features, however, we use it only as basic AutoCAD & make use of a vast suite of proprietary Automation as our own type of 3rd party add-ons.  This will change once I have had the opportunity to take advantage of the tutorials etc. for the Electrical portion so as to use it AND maintain the elegance of our own current schematic appearance & drawing organization along with our legacy project organization.

I believe I may have only compounded the apparent lack of clarity with this response.  I am migrating from AutoCAD Electrical 2010 (wherein I am not using the electrical add on & run it as a highly modified Vanilla or Classic) to the new AutoCAD Electrical 2013 (wherein which I intend to run also as highly modified Vanilla/Classic).

Hope that helps the clarity.  I would love to "Export" my current 2010 AutoCAD & simply "Import" it to 2013, but it appears that because I don't run it in Out of the Box mode, I am out of luck with Out of the Box migration.

-Sean

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.