11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
CADEngr2014
4953 Views, 11 Replies

METRIC LINETYPE SCALE

Hello,

I am using AutoCAD 2014.

I have been working with some metric units lately and have issues with my linetype scale.  I have a metric scale of 1:5000, viewport set to 1mm=5M.  It seems that the imperial linetype scale, if based on inches originally, would be multiplied by 0.0254 to convert to meters, so 5000 x 0.0254=127 lt scale.  But this seems very large in the actual CAD file and does not seem correct.  If I set the lt scale to viewport scale of 5, the linetype scale seems more reasonable but still a little small.  Does anyone have a suggestion for properly adjusting linetype scale from imperial to metric? 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: CADEngr2014

What is MEASUREMENT variable set to in your file?
Is your model drawn at 1:1 scale?
Message 3 of 12
CADEngr2014
in reply to: pendean

Yes, all the original linework was drawn as imperial, a unit of length was measured as a foot.  Now the geometry has been translated to a new coordinate and unit using map3d.  Linear lengths do measure properly but may be off a hundredth, I have accepted this level of precision.  So a meter in model space is a meter.

Message 4 of 12
pendean

1. There is a dedicated forum for MAP3D, you probably ought to post and ask there instead.
2. AutoCAD doesn't understand mixed up units in a file, you must set things correctly: sadly you chose not to answer my question which had you you looked it up would have cleared things up for you. Makes me wonder if I need to simplify my answers for a beginner to help you further?
3. At the command line also type -DWGUNITS ( there is a dash in the name) and ensure your file is now set to meters too after you correctly set what I asked for in my first reply.

Message 5 of 12
CADEngr2014

Yes, thank you; "measurement" is set to "1" and -DWGUnits is set to 6 for meters.  I tried also using millimeters in setting but was prompted for re-scaling geometry.  I believe the geometry is good except for the linetype still does not appear with proper line definition, looks solid when it should be phantom2.  Should I be using the millimeter setting instead of meters in the -DWGUnits command?

Message 6 of 12
pendean

Once measurement is set correctly for metric, AutoCAD should start using the correct ISO version of the linetype file. Reload your linetypes in the file with LINETYPE command (actively go into the ACADISO.LIN file, select all and answer yes to reload all linetypes). Then get back to scaling it like you do in all your other metric files.
There is no need to switch to mm if you regularly work in and need meters.
Message 7 of 12
pendean

Map3D forum is here to ask in if your version of AutoCAD can and does thing differently: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D-General/bd-p/85
Message 8 of 12

Hi,

>> except for the linetype still does not appear with proper line definition

How are those variables set:

• MSLTSCALE (I prefer 1)
  • PSLTSCALE (I prefer 1)
  • LTSCALE (I prefer 1)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 12
CADEngr2014

That worked if I am not using a custom linetype file, ours is acad.lin from the imperial version.  What is the best way to convert that file to be metric?

Message 10 of 12

Hi,

don't use the ACAD.LIN, if you want the metric version use the ACADISO.LIN instead to load your linetypes.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 12

Yes, the msltscale=1, psltscale=1, ltscale=1.

Message 12 of 12
pendean

You need to rewrite the code of your imperial linetype as metric and place it in the ACADISO.LIN file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost