Did you mean: 

Merge more than 2 AutoCAD Drawings into a single drawing in AutoCAD 2012

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1906 Views, 6 Replies

Merge more than 2 AutoCAD Drawings into a single drawing in AutoCAD 2012

Good morning, 

I am working in AutoCAD 2012, and want help in merging 4 separate drawings into one dwg file.

I do not have any programming experience and started to work with AutoCAD very recently.

Pl help.

Ashny.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Forums!

Tell us more about what you mean by "merge."  It would not be difficult to make a routine that would Insert each of three drawings, exploded, into a fourth drawing.  But that would give you a merging of only their model-space content -- it wouldn't include any paper-space Layouts from the three, but the fourth would have only its own.  Also, insertion base points might be an interesting twist, unless the defined base in each drawing is 0,0 and they should go into the composite drawing there.  Any Block definitions with the same names would have those of the fourth drawing, so if they were different in any of the three, those definitions would be lost.  And I think Xrefs in the three drawings would not come through into the fourth, though that could be made to happen with Xrefs in model space using Xref and Bind, rather than Insert.  There might also be other little complications I haven't thought of....

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank You Sir for your reply.

Here, I will draw four different drawings in 4 .dwg files.And I want to bring the modelspace content of all the 4 .dwg files in a new .dwg file.

I am talking here with respect to P&ID creation, where 4 different P&IDs will be drawn in different files and then finallly all 4 drawings will be needed to be brought into one drawing finally.

On the whole, I need this information as I am working in Aveva P&ID - AutoCAD interface method of creating P&ID, where I need to automate such a requirement.

Once Again , Thank you for your kind help.

Regards,

Ashny

Message 4 of 7
Kent1Cooper

Something like this, perhaps [untested]?  If the ones you want to merge together are named Drawing1 through Drawing4, when you are in the fifth drawing:

(foreach dwg '("Drawing1" "Drawing2" "Drawing3" "Drawing4")

(command "_.insert" dwg '(0 0 0) "" "" "")

); foreach

If the 4 drawings are not in some Support File Search Path location, you would need to specify where they are:

(foreach dwg '("Drawing1" "Drawing2" "Drawing3" "Drawing4")

(command "_.insert" (strcat "X:/Your/File/Path/" dwg) '(0 0 0) "" "" "")

); foreach

Or you could Xref them, rather than Insert them.  Or you could Insert them exploded, if you want their pieces independent in the fifth drawing.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you for the solution.I tried it, but how can I avoid the backing sheet being selected in this method?

Everytime I copy the whole drawing along with the backing sheet gets copied too.

Ashny Patrick.

Message 6 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the solution.I tried it, but how can I avoid the backing sheet being selected in this method?

Everytime I copy the whole drawing along with the backing sheet gets copied too.

Assuming the "backing sheet" is something like a border & title block, if that is in a Paper Space layout, rather than in model space, it won't be brought in, by either the Insert or Xref command.  Such a thing really should be in Paper Space, because it is, after all, an element of the "paper" output, not of the modeling of the building or part or site or whatever.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 7
fateyo

1. If "the backing sheet" is objects in your model space?

attach your drawings in the turn layers off or use xclip command to make a mask for it.

2. If "the backing sheet" is reference file.

change reference file setting of each file from "attach" to "overlay"

hope it helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost