AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

michael.lange
Message 1 of 8 (1,421 Views)
Accepted Solution

Menu bar freeze / Toolbar freeze

1421 Views, 7 Replies
03-26-2013 05:51 AM

Hi, I have installed AutoCAD 2013 student on my Laptop (Win7 32Bit) and want to work now.

But I have the problem that my Menubar always freezes / becomes instabil.

-> When I open ACAD, the menu bar is by default on "Home", when I click on the tab "Insert", the tools of "insert" aren't visible, there are still the tools from "Home" shown (Line, Polyline, Circle etc.)

But when I click on these wrong shown tools, the tools of "Insert" become active. (Only the 'surface' doesn't react)

Well, I see always the Home-tools. All the other tools aren't displayed to me, but they work (if u know where they are, you can guess and click and hope you hit the right one :smileywink: )

I'm sorry for my bad English, I hope someone understands this and can help me.

Hi,

the Ribbons are based on WPF and so very deep in Framework. So if:

a) you have installed the latest servicepack of AutoCAD, and

b) switching off the hardware acceleration (in AutoCAD command _3DCONFIG) does not help, and

c) switching off the Win7 special properties like AERO does not help, and

d) a repair installation of AutoCAD does not help, and

e) a repair installation of the installed Frameworks does not help

Then I have no additional idea at the moment, but I guess you have a lot of options above, all worth to be tried.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred, I had a student with the same problem, we had to un-install AutoCAD and totally clean everything AutoCAD from the machine, including the registry etc.  (There is a link in Support that tells exactly how to "clean" the registry).  Once that is complete, re-install AutoCAD.  The only thing we did was make sure any anti-virus etc was turned off during the install.  Go to the student community and in the suppiort area type in " how to remove all Autodesk products from a Windows system". this has all the steps to remove everything.  Good Luck.  It worked for us!

Hi borend, thank you for your answer, I tried the way you explained, but this still didn't work.

But I found the solution by coincidence:

I have 2 graphic-adapters in my notebook, an onboard chip (Intel) and a graphiccard for games etc (AMD)

My notebook usually switches from one adapter to another if it's necessary, but this time it didn't switch for AUTOCAD (it stayed on lower Intel-adapter), so it couldn't deliver the performance which is needed for ACAD and always froze.

I switched the graphics manually to higher performance (AMD-card) and now it works (so far...)  :-)

So, nevertheless I thank you both very very much for your help, maybe it will be of use for me on next reinstallation of Windows :smileyhappy:

Thanks, michael

michael.lange
Message 2 of 8 (1,418 Views)

Re: Menu bar freeze / Toolbar freeze

03-26-2013 06:18 AM in reply to: michael.lange

Here is an example:
After waiting a minute, i could create a Line (the "Line"-button is still highlighted in blue)
-> then  I move my mouse over "Circle", but the highlight doesn't follow :smileysad:

So, the menu bar crashed right after clicking the line-button.... and I don't know why

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 8 (1,412 Views)

03-26-2013 06:38 AM in reply to: michael.lange

Hi,

the Ribbons are based on WPF and so very deep in Framework. So if:

a) you have installed the latest servicepack of AutoCAD, and

b) switching off the hardware acceleration (in AutoCAD command _3DCONFIG) does not help, and

c) switching off the Win7 special properties like AERO does not help, and

d) a repair installation of AutoCAD does not help, and

e) a repair installation of the installed Frameworks does not help

Then I have no additional idea at the moment, but I guess you have a lot of options above, all worth to be tried.

Good luck, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
michael.lange
Message 4 of 8 (1,381 Views)

03-27-2013 09:09 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi alfred, thank you very much for your help! But unfortunately ACAD doesn't work :smileysad:

I tried all things you said:

- servicepack

- hardware acceleration off

- AERO off

- reinstallation of Frameworks & Direct x

- deinstall & reinstall of ACAD 2013

and again reinstall of ACAD 2013 and install ACAD 2012... but still same problem :/

Before I reinstalled Win7 32Bit on my Laptop, I had Win7 64Bit and there ACAD did work without any faults... I really don't know what I can do ...

borend
Message 5 of 8 (1,369 Views)

03-27-2013 10:51 AM in reply to: michael.lange

Alfred, I had a student with the same problem, we had to un-install AutoCAD and totally clean everything AutoCAD from the machine, including the registry etc.  (There is a link in Support that tells exactly how to "clean" the registry).  Once that is complete, re-install AutoCAD.  The only thing we did was make sure any anti-virus etc was turned off during the install.  Go to the student community and in the suppiort area type in " how to remove all Autodesk products from a Windows system". this has all the steps to remove everything.  Good Luck.  It worked for us!

michael.lange
Message 6 of 8 (1,353 Views)

03-28-2013 06:09 AM in reply to: borend

Hi borend, thank you for your answer, I tried the way you explained, but this still didn't work.

But I found the solution by coincidence:

I have 2 graphic-adapters in my notebook, an onboard chip (Intel) and a graphiccard for games etc (AMD)

My notebook usually switches from one adapter to another if it's necessary, but this time it didn't switch for AUTOCAD (it stayed on lower Intel-adapter), so it couldn't deliver the performance which is needed for ACAD and always froze.

I switched the graphics manually to higher performance (AMD-card) and now it works (so far...)  :-)

So, nevertheless I thank you both very very much for your help, maybe it will be of use for me on next reinstallation of Windows :smileyhappy:

Thanks, michael

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 7 of 8 (1,340 Views)

03-28-2013 07:28 AM in reply to: michael.lange

Hi,

first: thank you for your feedback!

And as there were already some posts having problems with the mixed gc adapters (Intel inside the processor and external one) it would now be interesting, how you did this:

>> I switched the graphics manually to higher performance (AMD-card) and now it works (so far...)

as sometimes user reports they can't switch/disable the Intel one. And it would be great to have some threads here showing how to switch that for different laptop-types.

Thx again, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
michael.lange
Message 8 of 8 (1,305 Views)

04-03-2013 03:34 AM in reply to: michael.lange

I have installed "Catalyst Control Center" (Download at AMD-Website).

There you activate "expanded options" under "options/configuration" at the top right corner.

Click in the left bar on "Power Supply" -> "methode for switchable graphics" -> choose "manual switching".

Then click on "switchable graphics" and choose your stronger graphiccard.

The words in " " could have another name than I wrote, because I have the German version of the Control Center, but you can see the way I described on the pictures.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.