Did you mean: 

Manipulating custom annotation scale

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
emilyPJA
1255 Views, 4 Replies

Manipulating custom annotation scale

I have a unique problem.  My company is working on a project with a firm who draws their site in millimeters but gives us their drawing in meters. (I suspect is has to do with the fact that they export the site plan from Revit, but this is speculation).  It is in our best interest to match their drawings.

Our drawings are drawn 1:1 in mm, and because we had to bring them into an xref with meters units that was drawn in mm, the whole site plan is now reading 1:.001.

We checked their files, and their annotation scales are set up to account for this incorrect scale.

For example, the drawing scale titled "1:1000" is set up so that 1 paper unit = 1 drawing unit.  "1:1" is set up so that 1 paper unit = .001 drawing unit.

When we try to create new annotation scales in our correctly scaled drawings that are set up just like these scales but named "1:1000_PROJECT" and add this scale to all the annotative text in the original drawing, it appears that the text does not take on this new scale in the original drawing or in the drawing that they are xrefed into.

Clear as mud?  Does anyone have an idea about why the new annotation scales are not working?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dmfrazier
in reply to: emilyPJA

"...because we had to bring them into an xref with meters units that was drawn in mm..."

I can't help you with the annotation scales issue, but it seems to me that it might be more practical to simply scale your DWGs (when you XREF them) to "correct for" the different units definitions?  Or would that present other issues?

Message 3 of 5
emilyPJA
in reply to: dmfrazier

Yes, unfortunately, we cannot scale the drawing up to be the correct size at this point.  Hopefully later in the project, but for now we are trying to make it work!

And yes, the text you pulled out of my post does sounds a little complicated.  Basically, their drawing is scaled down by .001 from the real world.  Our drawing matches the real world.  It's a mm/m issue and is hard to explain. 

My annotative next needs to be called 1:1000 and read 1:1.  I am not sure why the text does not acknowledge this scale when I give it to it (if I assign it this scale, and choose this scale in paper, it disappears completely).

Message 4 of 5
dmfrazier
in reply to: emilyPJA

"My annotative [t]ext needs to be called 1:1000 and read 1:1.  I am not sure why the text does not acknowledge this scale when I give it to it."

This reminded me of another issue I read recently which might pertain...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014/Civil-Tag-Scaling/m-p/4560475/highlight/true#M35510

Message 5 of 5
emilyPJA
in reply to: dmfrazier

Yes, thank you, that was very pertinent! 

Another piece of the puzzle that helped me solve this is resizing my text.  In the original drawings that were drawn at 1:1, a text size of 2.4mm worked.  In the new drawing, even with the new annotative scale, I had to resize the text to be 2400mm. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost