Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making surfaces and faces ready to export to stl

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
574 Views, 3 Replies

making surfaces and faces ready to export to stl

Hey Everyone, I'm trying to get this set of surfaces and 3d faces to form a union so that I can export to stl. It will export and be a functional file, however the resulting model as an stl is lacking the surface blends I did to it as a dwg. Does anyone have ideas on how to get the whole model into stl format? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
skintsubby
in reply to: Anonymous

Katy

You can't export surfaces and faces to an stl file.

stl files are for solids only.. you need to convert / remodel your surfaces / faces into solids.

Maybe this thread will help... http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/3D-SOLID/td-p/5089170

Mark

Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

You have both solids and infinitely thin surface bodies (can't print something infinitely thin).

You also have solids intersecting solids.

I recommend that you edit the model so that it is more representative of the real world.

Intersections.PNG

I started to fix this up for you and was going to explain how to do it - but as I dug deeper I noticed lack of symmetry that I would expect that left me confused about your true design intent.

No Symmetry.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you! I am trying to do that now. I want all of those surfaces to come to a point there so that there are ridges. Once they are surfaces, they cannot be stretched however, so I'm have a hard time doing that. I'm also having a hard time converting the surfaces to solids now. I feel like no matter how close I get there is always something else wrong! haha

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost