AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
jbunch55
Message 1 of 6 (619 Views)

Maintain customized layer state.

619 Views, 5 Replies
11-05-2012 06:53 AM

Hey,

Im having a layer state issue with ACADE 2013; its a generic layer problem that's why I'm posting on the ACAD forum.

Vive saved a Layer state ("trial state") that has about 30 layers and some of them have been frozen.

I made the trial state the current layer state, however, when I save and close the drawing and then reopen it, "Trial State" is no longer the current state. Instead the layer state is changed to "Unsaved Layer state", and I have to manually select my trial state each time. I haven't even modified any layers or added more layers and it does this.

Im wondering if there is any way to keep/lock my customized layer state on a drawing.

I've added some pictures to help out.

Thanks for the help,

James Bunch

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 6 (603 Views)

Re: Maintain customized layer state.

11-05-2012 08:00 AM in reply to: jbunch55
You seem to be describing the function of layer FILTERS but using layers States instead.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
jbunch55
Message 3 of 6 (591 Views)

11-05-2012 10:30 AM in reply to: pendean

I've never used Filter Layers so maybe I don't understand them completely, but I don't think that's what I want.

I'm trying to make a temp project for autoCAD electrical, so I'm adding as many layers as possible to the the temp dwgs.

I need to modify those layers so that certain attributes (e.g.. child_xref) don't show up on the schematic.

I figure the Layer State manager is the way to go, because I can save an .las with all the layers and import it to each temp drawing. The problem is that the drawings don't stay on the customized layer state that I make.

Maybe I should post this in the ACADE forum.

Thanks for the idea though.

James Bunch

Active Contributor
HAMJAM
Message 4 of 6 (545 Views)

Retaining layer state manager settings

11-19-2012 10:19 AM in reply to: jbunch55

James

I have had exactly the same issue and it is very frustrating.  

The only work around I can find is get the drawing with all the layers in the desire state and name the state in your case "Trail State".  Before you exit the drawing export the layer state settings - it will be a ".las" file.

When you reopen the drawing and find all your layers messed up import the layer state "Trail State.las" settings and your drawing will return to the desired state.

If anybobdy has a better way of retaining a layer state (there must be one) I would love to hear.  

Kind regards.

Contributor
jbunch55
Message 5 of 6 (522 Views)

Re: Retaining layer state manager settings

11-21-2012 12:38 PM in reply to: HAMJAM

That work around doesnt work too well for me.

I've posted in the ACADE 2013 forum and hopfully that will get an answer.

James

Active Contributor
HAMJAM
Message 6 of 6 (518 Views)

11-21-2012 01:09 PM in reply to: jbunch55

Fully understand that this is not a great work around.

I look forward to hearing if anybody else has a better solution.

Kind regards

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.