Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock origin to viewport lower left corner

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
m_folger
4495 Views, 5 Replies

Lock origin to viewport lower left corner

On my layout I would like to lock the model space WCS origin to the lower left corner of the viewport and then be able to zoom and scale within the viewport without the origin repositioning itself. I've tried the align command but that doesn't lock it in place. I'm a teacher and want my students to position their drawings in the same (eg anchor their orgins to the lower left corner). Thanks for any help.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
nestly2
in reply to: m_folger

The origin is 0,0,0, and you can't "lock it in place" and still zoom/pan

I believe you are referring to the UCS Icon, and unless I'm mistaken, you want it to remain in the lower left rather than being displayed at the origin. 

From the Command line, type UCSICON and pick Noorigin

or

Right click on the UCS icon > UCS Icon Settings  > uncheck Show UCS Icon at Origin

or

Expand the View menu > Display > UCS Icon > uncheck Origin

Message 3 of 6
m_folger
in reply to: nestly2

Thank you for the reply.  My issue, however, is not with the icon but the actual origin.  I'm now trying to teach my 50 students to use paperspace for printing.  They'll be creating a standard titleblock with a view port inside on a layout.  They are all typically making the same drawing so I want what gets printed out to be positioned exactly the same way in the viewport so that I can easily catch problems.  I thought locking the origin to the corner of the viewport would help with this.

Any ideas or other approaches?

Message 4 of 6
Yorx57

just a quick thought - if you could somehow specify the vport location and size, then a simple "zoom" with a predetermined paper space scale factor would keep them all in the same location and size (you would have to tell them what scale to use).  ie. "zoom" -> "0.5xp".

Message 5 of 6
nestly2

You can "lock" the viewport so the origin does not change relative to the viewport, but then by definition, that eliminates the ability to zoom and pan within the viewport. You can still zoom and pan whatever is being displayed within the viewport... so I guess that could be a solution?

Message 6 of 6
scot-65

Any other ideas:
Provide a DWT with a predefined viewport based on a rectangle created in PSpace and CHSPACEd to MSpace. Have the students do their thing in model space mode and when finished, compose the work inside that rectangle. While in PSpace apply viewport lock.

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost