AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Active Contributor
boyerengineering
Message 11 of 17 (775 Views)

Re: linetypes suddenly not showing shapes/txt

12-28-2012 12:34 PM in reply to: Patchy

i have been starting with the same template we have always used.  we have always done everything in sae.  no metric.  the only thing that has changed is that we made an upgrade to 2013 from 2010 a month ago.  but things have plotted and displayed fine after the upgrade.  this only started yesterday. i havent made any changes to the template, shape file, line file, anything.  i am the only cad user in the office. 

Active Contributor
boyerengineering
Message 12 of 17 (760 Views)

12-28-2012 12:52 PM in reply to: boyerengineering

how does ucs relate to linetypes? 

i dont see why that would matter.  we have had ucs's other than world and views other than wcs, and have never had this issue before. 

as i said, im opening drawings that worked completely fine.  no changes to them whatsoever.  last time i opened them and plotted them, they were fine, now they are not.  no ucs changes, no drawing specific changes at all.  open, plot, fine, close without saving.  2 days later, open, and i cant see the linetypes.

however, just to be sure, i tried switching it back to world ucs, and it didnt change a thing.

thanks for trying tho.  i appreciate it.

Distinguished Contributor
dmmeehan
Message 13 of 17 (749 Views)

12-28-2012 01:47 PM in reply to: boyerengineering

are both support paths pointing to the shx folder? Fonts and Linetypes?

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 14 of 17 (742 Views)

12-28-2012 03:03 PM in reply to: boyerengineering

99% chance there is nothing wrong with your LIN file or AutoCAD.

With AutoCAD open, type in FONTALT.

Set it to . (that is a period)

Now close AutoCAD.

Open AutoCAD again by itself (not by double-clicking a DWG file)

The Qnew template should be "Drawing1.dwg" now.

Review the text window and look for an errors regarding shx, shapes, etc.

If there are none, then open the drawing in question.

Repeat your review of the text window for errors.

In summary, if a text style is assigned a font that is actually a shape, you should see an error message like:

"xxx.shx is a shape file, not a font"  If you see this, then the entire session of AutoCAD is hosed from that point on, and every drawing that uses "xxx.shp" in the linetype definitions will fail to display those linetype correctly.

I see this almost daily now because we are infested with a bunch of DWG files generated by Microstation which for some reason insists on mapping our shape file to the font of several text styles.

Active Contributor
boyerengineering
Message 15 of 17 (716 Views)

01-02-2013 08:06 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

well, an update..  i got an old version of our .shx file, put it in the folder, and all is fixed now.  it appears there was something wrong with the shape file.  weird since it hasnt been touched for years.

thanks.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 16 of 17 (702 Views)

01-02-2013 05:15 PM in reply to: boyerengineering
Thanks for the update.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Active Contributor
viktors.zilinskis
Message 17 of 17 (425 Views)

10-03-2013 03:22 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi! Did you ever find a solution to the problem? I think that I have the same problem you describe in your post. I have a drawing with say a polyline that uses linetype BH90-LANSGRANS. BH90-LANSGRANS is saved in a .lin file BH90KBGR.lin. Linetype BH90-LANSGRANS uses a shape called PLUSSTEGN that is defined in shapefile BH90K.SHX. The shape file in question lies in a folder that is added as a "Support File Search Path". The thing is that the linetype is displayed as it should (with "+" marks in gaps of an intermittent line) if FONTALT variable is set to none. However, if the FONTALT is set to anything else than "" then the linetype is shown without the shapes from  BH90K.SHX file. I think that this is strange because AutoCAD should use alternative shapefile only if it fails to find related .shx files. In this case it should not be the problem as it clearly finds BH90K.SHX when FONTALT is set to none. Please find a sample drawing with corresponding .shx och .lin files in the attachment. I even attach a couple of printscreens that demonstrate the case. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.