Did you mean: 

linetype copies do not match

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
achillesgr
360 Views, 4 Replies

linetype copies do not match

hello,

i have adrawing with a some linework that has a specific linetype . when i copy part of thiw linework to a new drawing i get completely diferent linetype.

i tried to delete all the linetype sto the targwet drawing with the same results .

i am posting two pics to see what i mean.

please someone help.

this is the source dwg:

α.PNG

this is the result:

β.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: achillesgr

Could you have two .lin files that contain different definitions of the same Linetype name?  Try Linetype/Load in each drawing, navigating to the same file in the same folder, answer Yes to the re-load question, and Regenerate the drawings.  Do they then look the same?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 5
nestly2

Linetypes are stored in the drawing, so if the linetype already existed in the drawing, any objects using that linetype that are brought into the drawing will inherit the exsting linetype definition. 

I would find all existing objects in the drawing that use that linetype and change them to something else (may be as simple as changing the linetype assigned to a layer)  Purge the Linetype, then copy the linetype back into the drawing.

Message 4 of 5
achillesgr
in reply to: nestly2

guys,

i tried to purge all linetypes from an empty drawing and then the copy paste. before that i verified that no linetypes are present in the empty drawing but the result is the same . the line comes with wrong definition.

i would like to try Kents solution. how to find what .lin file is connected to the source drawing so i would load it with linetype load command?

the source dwg didnt created by me . it came to me from a coworker.

please note that it is a very simple linetype as you can see from the images .

it must be a simple solution for cases like that.

i also tried a linout.vlx that downloaded from the internet to extract the linetype definition. that didnt work either with worst results. the linetype was completely distorted.

thanks!

Message 5 of 5
nestly2

achillesgr wrote:

i would like to try Kents solution. how to find what .lin file is connected to the source drawing so i would load it with linetype load command?

the source dwg didnt created by me . it came to me from a coworker.

please note that it is a very simple linetype as you can see from the images .

it must be a simple solution for cases like that.

i also tried a linout.vlx that downloaded from the internet to extract the linetype definition. that didnt work either with worst results. the linetype was completely distorted.

There isn't really an association between a ,dwg and a ,lin file.  Once the linetypes are loaded, the definition is in the drawing.   If you have run Linout.vlx on the "source" drawing, that should be all you need.  After you have run LINOUT on the "source" drawing, open the "destination" drawing and use the LINETYPE command to load the linetype from the file LINOUT created.  If the linetype is already in the destination drawing, AutoCAD will prompt you if you want to Reload it.  After that, the linetype definition should be the same in both drawings.

If in doubt, attach a sample of both drawings here and we'll help you get it sorted out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost