Did you mean: 

Line type Scale in different departments

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mviscetto
364 Views, 2 Replies

Line type Scale in different departments

Hello there.

I have a little bit of a concern that I need to deal with.

We have a design department and an engineering department.

The Design department works on the design then the engineering department imports the design drawings into their drawings and starts to develop the products. There are two main issues going on here;

1) Design uses annotative scaling engineering does not (But Eng. is going in that direction)

2) Design's LTS = 1 engineering LTS = 10 (this is my current dilemma)

Today's concern deals with whether or not I change the default LTS of the engineering department to 1 or not.

This is the way I see it;

If I do that, I will need to change the object LTS of any line that is not continuous in all of the engineering product templates and possibly any previous drawing that may be relevant to the near future.

Wow! just typing that tells me I do not want to tackle this in this manner.

So, has anyone else had to tackle this type of scenario?

Is there a good solution for this?

Possibly something that I am not thinking about?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
scot-65
in reply to: mviscetto

Engineering units are 1/12 architectural - meaning a unit of 1 in architectural is equal to a unit of 12 for them.
I understand why they want to change the LTSCALE.
Establish standards for each discipline and create a toggle for each user.
The customization section is a good place to look for ideas.
Off the top of my head, the switch can be automatic depending on which profile is current, or what workspace is current...???
Keep all linetype scaling to 1 (CHPROP command).

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 3 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: mviscetto

Automate it.  Used to be our users would manually load the linetypes they wanted (... wait, I thought it was CENTER not CENTER2??) from whichever file they wanted (no, we've always used ACAD.LIN!) and the resulting mishmash of settings was a veritable nightmare.  Now all of that selection is handled behind the scenes with automation and the users barely pay it any attention because doing things the right way is easier than anything else.

I'd recommend you avoid trying to cross-process global LTSCALE with object LTSCALE.  Just get the right LIN file for your units, settle on a global LTSCALE (1 is usually the best), and keep everything BYLAYER so any changes can be applied simply by changing a layer setting.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost