Did you mean: 

Line extension issue

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
TCatt2011
2481 Views, 29 Replies

Line extension issue

Ok, so I just started using CAD 2015 2 weeks ago and ever since it has been installed i have had this issue.  When I use a corner to extend off of and draw a line at 15" it will place the line randomly instead of 15" perpendicular to said node.  I have tried reloading other "Profiles" but it has had no affect on my current problem.

problem 1.png

problem 2.png

Tags (2)
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
nestly2
in reply to: TCatt2011

Not sure if it's related or not, but if you want the line to be 15 from the corner, then you should probably be tracking from ENDPOINT Osnap.... all of your screen captures so far seem to be tracking from something else... Perp, Extension etc.

Can you attach a sample drawing?  I'm curious if there are overlapping objects, and/or non-planar objects?

Message 22 of 30
TCatt2011
in reply to: nestly2

To my knowledge I've been pulling off an endpoint snap and ya I can attach a drawing.

Message 23 of 30
nestly2

I figured it out, but you're probably not going to be pleased to learn that there's a bug with an undocked command line when Dynamic Input is turned off.  To get tracking to work properly, I believe you have to either turn on Dynamic Input, or dock the command line.

As a side note, your random results aren't really random.  For some reason, when the two conditions mentioned above exist, Autocad is measuring distance and bearing from the last recorded "click", not from the tracking point.  (Turning on BLIPMODE helps visualize what's going on)

Message 24 of 30
TCatt2011

REALLY? You learned that I have an undocked command bar from the drawing??? Wow I had no idea it gave that much data. I looked for dynamic input for a little bit when I first was given this setup. I haven't had to setup a AutoCAD from scratch in about two years so I quit looking for dynamic input.  If I were to turn on dynamic input then it would fix my bug?

As far as the docked command line I just had it undocked since I have to work monitors here and like as much screen space as I can get when working. I.E. my start bar is on the 2nd monitor and all toolbars except the bar essientials.

I guess I'll dock my command bar and turn on dynamic input.

Also how do I turn on BLIPMODE? When I entered that as a command it said that it was an unrecognized command.

I'm kinda rusty at CAD it's been a while since I've had to change settings and set up my preferences. New job, new computer, new frustrations.

I didn't bring a CUIx, and an ARG file with me from my old set up. I wish I had now.

Message 25 of 30
doni49

@TCatt2011 wrote:

REALLY? You learned that I have an undocked command bar from the drawing???

Your screenshots don't show a command line.  If the command line were docked, we'd see it.  Hence you have an undocked command line.

As to how to get blipmode to work:

http://blogs.rand.com/support/2012/10/what-happened-to-blips-and-screen-menu-in-autocad-2012-and-201...

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 26 of 30
TCatt2011
in reply to: doni49

Oh ya, it would show that. I was sending full monitor screen shots. I didn't even consider those.

Message 27 of 30
nestly2

Yeah, saw the undocked command line from the screenshot(s), which also reveal that Dynamic Input is disabled.

You'll have to try it to be sure, but yeah I'm pretty sure tracking will work the way you expect if you dock the command line.  To clarify, the bug only exists with the combination of an undocked command line AND dynamic Input disabled, so changing either should fix your problem.  (Also,there is a toggle for Dynamic Input in the status bar... it's just to the left of Ortho.  Turn it blue and the tracking bug should go away, even with an undocked command line)

Autodesk undefined BLIPMODE a couple years ago, but you can redefine it by simply typing "REDEFINE" at the command line, then type "BLIPMODE" when prompted.  I actually did a video some time ago about a similar issue with clicks/blips and unexpected results... not sure if I can still find it though

Message 28 of 30
TCatt2011

Thank you nestly2 and doni49! Both of you have been very helpful.

Message 29 of 30
GrantsPirate

For blipmode just type a period in front of the command.

.BLIPMODE

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 30 of 30
doni49
in reply to: GrantsPirate

@GrantsPirate wrote:

For blipmode just type a period in front of the command.

.BLIPMODE

That's a good point.  I REALLY don't think you want to actually leave blipmode on anyway so this would allow you to access the setting without having to "REDEFINE" it first.  Nice catch GP!

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost