Did you mean: 

Line extension issue

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
2499 Views, 29 Replies

Line extension issue

Ok, so I just started using CAD 2015 2 weeks ago and ever since it has been installed i have had this issue.  When I use a corner to extend off of and draw a line at 15" it will place the line randomly instead of 15" perpendicular to said node.  I have tried reloading other "Profiles" but it has had no affect on my current problem.

problem 1.png

problem 2.png

Tags (2)
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

To clarify, the placement of the line can be anywhere from a few inches a way to 6' or more away.

Message 3 of 30
KLYPHY

Is EDGEMODE set to "0" or "1"?

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: KLYPHY

Edgemode is set to "0".

I just tried changing this varilble and i still am having the same issue. It will recognize the corner OSNAP but when I try to project off of said SNAP it does whatever it wishes.

Message 5 of 30
KLYPHY

From HELP:

EDGEMODE controls how the TRIM and EXTEND commands determine cutting and boundary edges:

0 = Uses the selected edge without any extensions

1 = Extends or trims the selected object to an imaginary extension of the cutting or boundary edge.

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: KLYPHY

Well that solves another issue with this setup that I have been having but not the one im trying to solve.  

Any ideas with the other issue? 😕

Message 7 of 30
Kent1Cooper

I don't think EDGEMODE is relevant, but may have come to mind simply because of the word "extension" in the Subject line.  But I confess that it's not clear to me what you're trying to do, and the images don't clarify it for me.  Something can't be perpendicular to a node [at least, not in AutoCAD's meaning of the word].  Are Polar and/or Object-Snap Tracking involved?  Is Ortho mode on?  A more detailed description of the steps you're taking, and the results, would be helpful to me.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Polar tracking is on at 30 degree increments and OSNAP Tracking would be involved yes. Commonly ill take a corner of a wall for example and will be putting in a door frame "X" amount off of said corner. I'll try to enter X to place the start of my line and then it goes awry from there.
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous

In this image you can see the line highlighted in red, this is what I'm talking about. Currently to place lines off of corners of walls I have to draw that line. What I would like to do is be able to use that snap to project from (I guess that would be the correct term?) and not have to erase an unecessary line everytime I try to pull off of an OSNAP. It doens't have to be a corner I just used it for these visusals all OSNAPS give me this problem.

problem 3.png

Message 10 of 30
nestly2

In your example, it appears the Extension Osnap is activated and tracking 270 degrees.  Are you staying that if you type "15" while Extension > 270 is displayed the line goes "anywhere"?  Do you have the Tracking vector turned on, and can you see it?

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

Here is a picture of typing in "15" 4 times, each time the "15" producted a different location.  In the photo the arrow points to the point of where the line would start. The end point is just where I terminated the line, angles are irrelevant. This would be off the same corner that I have used throughout this problem.

problem 4.png

Message 12 of 30
nestly2

Is the Endpoint OSnap on (or activated)?

If yes, do you see the AutoTrack marker after acquiring the Endpoint?

If yes, do you see the Tracking Vector when your cursor is near your Polar tracking angles (30 degrees for you, 45 degrees in animation below)

If yes, is the Osnap and angle displayed at the cursor when you're hitting one of your Polar tracking angle?

If yes, are you typing in your distance while the tracking vector is still displayed?

Tracking.gif

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous

Nice animation, and the answer is yes to all of those.

The only difference is that in every instance of those lines I drew I was at a Polar tracking angle of 270 (with increments of 30 degrees).

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous

This is what I was talking about, it lists what I'm doing as perpendicular to the end snap.problem 5.png

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous

After entering 15 and a polar tracking angle of 270 this is the result that it produced. Again with a seemingly random point 5'-5&1/4" down by 4'-6&3/8" left.

problem 6.png

Message 16 of 30
nestly2

Hmmm.

So the Tracking vector is displayed, and the tooltip says "Endpoint > 270" and when you type "15 + <enter>" the line is not directly below the endpoint you were tracking from?

Message 17 of 30
nestly2

TCatt2011 wrote:

After entering 15 and a polar tracking angle of 270 this is the result that it produced. Again with a seemingly random point 5'-5&1/4" down by 4'-6&3/8" left.

Try turning off Perp Osnap (and NEArest, and (TANgent), and/or manually assign Endpoint Osnap.  Running PERP osnap is known to cause errant results in certain situations.

Message 18 of 30
nestly2

In DSETTINGS > Polar Tracking  is your Polar Angle measurement "Absolute" or "Relative to last segment"?

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous

I didn't know that it caused issues, it's off currently and yet I still have a line that isn't correct in placement. However it is 1/16" off of 15"

Just to be clear

problem 8.png

problem 7.png

After 5 tests, I'm almost starting to think that it places my line realitive to my cursor.

problem 9.png

Message 20 of 30
Anonymous

Absolute

problem 10.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost