Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leica Disto D810 touch

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cesan1975
2614 Views, 4 Replies

Leica Disto D810 touch

Hi, Does anyone know if the new Leica Disto D810 touch syncs with autocad? The previous model D8 had an autocad pluggin in the laser meter. However it was discontinued and replaced with this new D810 touch model that has an awesome camera feature, but no longer has the autocad pluggin. I already contacted Leica, but they couldnt guarantee.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
HernanePE
in reply to: cesan1975

I just bought the Leica Disto D810 and it does send a measurement to AutoCad however it doesn't work they way you would expect. 

First experience:

In AutoCad I would enter the Line command and use the cursor to indicate direction.  Then I point the D810, take a measurement and the Bluetooth connection sends the info and it automatically enters it as a measurement in AutoCad.  Sounds great so far but the measurement is sent with an abbreviation for the units ( ft, in, etc) and AutoCad does not recognize it.  For example, you'll see "10.5FT" or "126IN" in your command line and the Disto will even automatically use the ENTER function to enter the measurement but AutoCad will the reject it because of the FT or IN text.---This was just one of the many examples of how not to have your settings.  there are other ways that it screws up the transfer of information. 

I don't know what this blatant deficiency in the construction fields most advanced handheld laser measuring device was a lack of foresight on Lieca's behalf or some sort of licensing issue.

The solution you ask? There is a way to get around it but I don't know if it saves time.  First change the Units in the Disto's settings to use decimal inch, then change the Bluetooth settings: a) send info as numbers (it kinda looks like an Excel spreadsheet symbol) b) use the ENTER command after transmitting the data.  Next go to the Autocad Units settings (command: UN) and set them to Decimal.  You're done. 

Just draw your line starting point and a direction and the Disto will put in the measurement and input the ENTER command to complete the line.

When you're finished drawing, you can change your settings in AutoCad back to Architectural, Engineering, or whatever you would like. 

Message 3 of 5
Aprengo
in reply to: HernanePE

I don't undertand very well. Can you export to cad dxf or not ?

This seems additional software for this purpose.... http://www.merlinlazer.com/Software

Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 5
t.stieber
in reply to: Aprengo

Yes, you can export to DXF.  I use the sync cable, download the file and open in AutoCAD.  Remember it comes in as a 3D file so make sure your CAD version excepts 3D.  My only concern, I've used it a few times and I'm not certain the accuracy is that great for my purpose.  I would rely on it for a precision of about 1/2".

I should also mention, I had a D810... maybe 2 weeks old right when it came out.  I performed a bunch of DXF files in the field, took it back to the office and the D810 went to **** and lost the file.  Had to get a new unit from Leica, they never did say the problem but I will say great customer service and they even expidited my shipment because I needed the laser.  I haven't used the DXF feature again because I'm a bit worried of it happening again and losing the file.  I only use it for complex projects, with radius or a bunch of angled walls.

Message 5 of 5
t.stieber
in reply to: t.stieber

@HernanePE  Or could it be that Leica just wants you to use their program??  They have an app in the app store, but it's definitely not AutoCAD grade.  I think you can export to CAD though.

@cesan1975  Also, the camera is great in the field for if you can't find the laser dot... but as for the quality of picture you get in the file, it reminds of my cell phone when I was in high school, a bit grainy... but if you just need it to remind you where that shot was taken, it's alright.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost