Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer States Manager will not load linetypes

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Light_Guy
1588 Views, 7 Replies

Layer States Manager will not load linetypes

Why is it, when I restore a layer state to a blank drawing, it cannot load the linetypes saved to those layers? I get an error that says Linetypes not loaded and then wind up with a full set of layers all with CONTINUOUS linetype.

If I bring in a block from a toolpalette that has a new linetype and layer, it will create them for me just by inserting the block. Am I missing something??

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jggerth
in reply to: Light_Guy

Well, yes.  Layerstates do not contain Linetype definitions, and can only restore/set a linetype current if it currently exist in the drawing..  They are included in blocks, because the entities in those blocks reference the linetyes.

Given the propensity for things (dgn linstyles, annoscales, et) to propogate out of control for a version or so, I'm not at all sure I want layers states to blindly drag in new layer defintions....

Message 3 of 8
Light_Guy
in reply to: jggerth

I can drag a blank drawing that contains all the layers and linetypes I need to a tool palette, no geometry whatsoever, and can then insert it into another drawing bringing all the layers with linetypes into that drawing. Just seems odd that the layer states manager cannot do the same.

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 4 of 8
pendean

Apples and Oranges: Layer States are predefined by you and are restored based on your chosen parameters. Content must exist for Layer States to trigger them.

Dragging and Dropping a predefined DWG file is unrelated to Layer States, it does bring in settings and content not already defined in the file.

Is that your issue? You are trying to use LayerStates to bring in content?
Message 5 of 8
Light_Guy
in reply to: pendean

No, just looking for an easy way to restore layers. We bring in lots of outside drawings and blocks and so we purge our drawings rather often, we just needed something to restore our base set of layers when necessary. The block works but I just figured the layer states manager would do the same thing.

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 6 of 8
steve216586

1. Create a block with all the linetypes and layerstates you require.

2. Place block in your template, then erase and save.

3. Save the block in conventient location for Design Center to find it without opening 11,000 folders.

4. After -PURGE, go into DC and click on the block with all your layers adn layerstates defined and right click to "redefine only" to current drawing.

5. Linetypes and saved layerstates will be restored and property settings of all layers in current drawing will be back to their previously saved settings.

This actually sounds more complicated than what the procedure really entails. It takes me only about 20 secs to do steps 4 & 5 for each drawings. Setting up steps 1-3 takes about 10 minutes.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 7 of 8
Light_Guy
in reply to: steve216586

Pretty much what I did Steve, except I saved it to our toolpalette instead of using Design Center. (That doesn't get used much around here) I just really found it odd that in AutoCAD, where you can do pretty much anything 3 different ways, you can't with layers. What I really wanted to do was save the layer state to the tool palette but that's an AUGI wish list item I guess...

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 8 of 8
jcanales_r

Buen dia,

Lo que sugiero es cargar los tipos de linea acad.lin mediante un lisp en el archivo DWG antes de ejecutar el Layerstate.

Esto nos permitira que el comando layerstate reconozca los tipos de linea sin problemas.

Saludos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost