Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer properties in XREFs

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
radinplaid
335 Views, 5 Replies

Layer properties in XREFs

I am XREFing a draing into mine and would like to retain all of the layer properties that I set in my original file. Is it possible to do this? It would sure save me a lot of time instead of having to go and change all those settings again...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: radinplaid

VISRETAIN variable in your top file: what is it set to? Look it up in HELP.

Just remember to never change the layer settings for the XREF in your top file otherwise you're back to square one again.
Message 3 of 6
radinplaid
in reply to: pendean

VISRETAIN is currently set at "1". Does it need to be changed to something else?
Message 4 of 6
swood

Are you wanting to convert their layers to your layers? What exactly do you mean by keeping the layers like they are in your file?

Message 5 of 6
radinplaid
in reply to: swood

I had xref'd some of our clients drawings into my main drawing and had changed the properties of their layers in my drawing. I wanted to xref my drawing (including the drawings I had xref'd into my drawing) into other drawings and the layer properties I had changed for their xrefs didn't show up in the new file.

Since that wasn't working I created a backup of their drawings and just changed the layer properties within their drawings, but I can't even get that to show up properly. Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 6
dgorsman

Overridden layer properties in nested XREFs don't transfer to the upper levels ie. drawing A is hosted in drawing A-HOST, and layer A|SOME-LAYER is changed to YELLOW from GREEN.  If drawing A-HOST is XREF'd into B-HOST, layer A|SOME-LAYER will be GREEN, not YELLOW.  Thats because the drawing content is being read directly from the source drawing (A), not via the intermediate XREF (as shown by the layer name A|SOME-LAYER, not A-HOST|A|SOME-LAYER).

You might want to look into layer states for rapidly applying settings.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost