Did you mean: 

Layer Names in Layer Properties Manager Don't Show Up in Model Space

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
hnwater
2933 Views, 10 Replies

Layer Names in Layer Properties Manager Don't Show Up in Model Space

One of my colleagues is having trouble with the Layer Properties Manager in AutoCAD 2014 SP1.  For some reason, the names of the layers don't show up in the Layer Properties Manager while she's in the model space.  However, the names display properly in the Layer Properties Manager when she's in the paper space.

She says it happens with every DWG file she opens, and that it didn't happen in AutoCAD 2013.

Any ideas why this is happening?  How can we fix it?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
hwalker
in reply to: hnwater

Can you post a screenshot of the problem so we can have a look and see what's happening

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 11
hnwater
in reply to: hwalker

Here's a screen shot.  This only occurrs in she's in the model space.  Everything shows up fine when she's in the paper space.

Message 4 of 11
hwalker

That seems to be an awful lot of layers for one drawing.

Can she do a PURGE to get rid of all extraneous information.

Also in Paper Space how many layers does it say are displayed. Is it still 290?

EDIT: You might also try reconciling the layers. The following is a copy and paste from help

Reconcile New Layers

Unreconciled layers are new layers that have been added to the drawing and have not yet been acknowledged by the user and manually marked as reconciled.

Reconciling new layers is the process of manually reviewing new layers so that you can avoid potential errors before plotting your drawing or when restoring a layer state.

Unreconciled layers are new layers that have been added to the drawing or to attached xrefs since the layer list was last evaluated. The layer list is checked for new layers when a command, such as PLOT is used. In new drawings, the layer baseline is created when the drawing is saved or plotted for the first time. When a new drawing is first saved, the layer baseline is created, and all layers present in the saved drawing are considered reconciled (not new). Layers that are added after a drawing is first saved are considered new unreconciled layers.

NoteThe layer baseline is created when the LAYEREVAL system variable is set to 1 or 2.

When a command that is set in the Layer Settings dialog box or LAYEREVAL system variable is used, the layer list is checked at that time and compared to the baseline. If there are new layers, notification will display and the Unreconciled New Layers filter is automatically created and activated in the Layer Properties Manager.

Unreconciled layers become reconciled by right-clicking the layer and clicking the Reconcile Layer option. Once a layer has become reconciled, it is removed from the Unreconciled New Layers filter. After all new layers are reconciled, the Unreconciled New Layers filter is removed.

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 11
rkmcswain

Does it work okay if you run the CLASSICLAYER command?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 11
GrantsPirate
in reply to: hwalker

It appears that the Name column has gotten dragged to a very small width and or the status has been dragged over to a large size.  Notice the vertical line to the right of Status, that is the right hand side of the Name column so click and drag up above to re-adjust the widths.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 7 of 11
hnwater
in reply to: GrantsPirate

That was the problem, indeed!  Good eyes there!  Those column dividers don't stand out enough on our monitors for us to see the true problem.

I just think it's weird that the column spacing in the Layer Properties Manager can be different when switching between model and paper space.

Thanks for the help!

Message 8 of 11
hwalker

Bit of a mess on Autocad's part. Having two separate Layer Managers, one for modelspace and one for paperspace.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 9 of 11
nestly2

I just learned something new... I did not know columns in Layer Manager could be adjusted independently between Model and Layout tabs.

Message 10 of 11
GrantsPirate
in reply to: nestly2

I didn't know they could be displayed differently either, always learning something new.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 11 of 11
rkmcswain

Add me to the list of those who did not know this....

Here is a demo of it.

laymgr2.gif

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost