Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop for student daughter using AutoCad 2014 2D & 3D

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Tekapo
1856 Views, 13 Replies

Laptop for student daughter using AutoCad 2014 2D & 3D

Based in UK. Daughter studying Garden Design & needs new laptop to run AutoCad 2014 mostly 2D but sometimes 3D.
Have spoken IT guy at work who recommends minimum Intel Core i5
& Nvidia graphics card. Have looked at Lenovo B5400 which is around £500 but wouldn't want to spend more than this.
As my IT knowledge is limited & I know nothing about AutoCad please can you recommend minimum specs for a laptop & suggest which brands/models would be best?
Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
darawork
in reply to: Tekapo

Hi, That laptops specs look fine. I'd go with the nVidia 720m option too, if you can afford it, and at least 4gb of ram if possible.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-...

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 14
pendean

8Gig of RAM and Win7 is possible,
Message 4 of 14
allanr

16GB of PC2800 RAM and at least an equivalent to an i7-4820K, you will need the extra fast ram and processor to get around AutoCAD's bottlenecks.

Message 5 of 14
darawork
in reply to: allanr

I'm sorry, but that post doesn't make much sense.

The ram type for a Lenovo B5400 is actually PC312800 1600Mhz, which comes in the laptop from the factory with 1 x 4gb stick installed in 1 of 2 slots, the other slot being empty. To buy 16gb to stick into it would mean that you'd have to get rid of the 4gb and replace with 2 x 8gb sticks. Sticking in another 4gb would bring it up to 8gb, which is fine for college project level AutoCad 2D/3D stuff.

Re AutoCads Bottlenecks, I have no idea what you mean by that. 64bit Software running on a 64bit operating system essentially has no bottlenecks, what could possibly be in the code that chokes the underlying hardware?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 14
allanr

It's the poor multithreading design, you have to look at it perform in a multithreaded system. The tasks are not spread out evenly thus negating the power of a multi-core architecture.
I've been dealing with autocad's performance issues ever since I got heavily into 3D design and the partial spec I gave is what seems to solve the bottlenecks. What system you buy to support that spec is up to you.

allanr@av-controls.com
25 Park Place . 2nd floor . NYC . 10007
212 353 9087 W . 917 825 4845 C/SMS
Message 7 of 14
dgorsman

Per the OP: mostly 2D and a little 3D, so moderate specs will do fine for the most part.  For 3D work, a modest system will help enforce good modeling practices - appropriate level of detail, use of blocks for repetetive features, and splitting content into XREFs.  I've seen users overwhelm their system with poor practices, get a new computer, and quickly reach the same point (and promptly blame the software).  Many of our users are working in 3D with 8 GB RAM without much difficulty.

As for multi-threading its not an end-all, be-all solution to make things better.  Most of the work in AutoCAD cannot be effectively split into independant operations, so there isn't much poor design in play.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 14
allanr

I call shenanigans on that, there are many operations that can be moved over to the GPU to compute (much much faster) than CPU ever could.
As far as planning your design that sounds like a band-aid for poor architecture in a day where we have systems that can run DAW software with many more floating point operations without much hassle.

allanr@av-controls.com
25 Park Place . 2nd floor . NYC . 10007
212 353 9087 W . 917 825 4845 C/SMS
Message 9 of 14
darawork
in reply to: dgorsman

It would be nice if when trying to hatch a complexly boundaried plan, it did so in a seperate multi-thread process... that type of operation always seems to end badly if there is a tiny break in the boundary and the area calculation algorithm tries to accurately work out the confines of the universe.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 10 of 14
darawork

http://blogs.citrix.com/2014/05/02/the-autodesk-and-citrix-partnership-access-anywhere-team-collabor...

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 11 of 14
dgorsman
in reply to: darawork

How would that process break down into multiple simultaneous steps?  Would the intent be that you can do other things in the drawing while the calculations are being done?

Message 12 of 14
darawork
in reply to: dgorsman

Hopefully? I don't really know the ins and outs of implimenting it, but it would nice to eliminate pauses from AutoCad entirely some day. A designers ideas seem to always be faster than their means of recording those thoughts. AutoDesk WetWare?

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 13 of 14
rkmcswain

To throw in my 2 cents.... I just installed the AutoCAD Design Suite 2015 on the following hardware for doing light to medium type work, and I have had no problems at all.

AMD-A10 5750M 2.50GHz

8GB ram

Win8

0.8TB SATA drive (no SSD)

Radeon 8670M

No I don't use this for machine for 40 hours a week, but for occasional use, it performs just fine for a very reasonable price.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 14 of 14
dgorsman
in reply to: darawork

One of the problems with multi-tasking is each of the threads being used needs access to the objects.  But that means the objects can be modified while they are being processed which can lead to very bad things.  Its a very similar problem to database processing (which DWG files are a specialized instance of), where records have to be locked while being modified so another query doesn't modify them.  Of course, if that record (object) is locked all other threads have to wait for access and you lose the speed benefits of multi-threading.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost