AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
jtomkinson
Message 1 of 16 (2,081 Views)

Laggy Command Line

2081 Views, 15 Replies
04-02-2012 10:24 PM

This isn't a bug as such but more something that needs tweeking.

In every release until now, the command line has been the refuge of people who like to do things quickly.

With the new fandangled wizzbang command line interface there is a very noticable lag between when i hit a key & when AutoCad processes it.

Simple things like hitting "E" then "Space" to delete an object have become incredibly frustrating as more often than not the "Space" is not recognised as AutoCad is still thinking about the "E".

We're only talking about a fraction of a second here, but having been used to a no frills; speedy command line for the last 15-20 years, it's bloody annoying.

It've turned off all the command line features, & i have it docked at the bottom to try & speed things up it's still more miss than hit.

Can we get some optimisation for this please.

Jay

Product Support
VinodBalasubramanian
Message 2 of 16 (2,032 Views)

Re: Laggy Command Line

04-04-2012 06:52 PM in reply to: jtomkinson

Hi,

I couldn't able to reproduce it on my side. Can you check the following solution and see whether it helps to fix your problem.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15127843&linkID=9240617

Hope it helps.

Vinod Balasubramanian
*Expert Elite*
GTVic
Message 3 of 16 (1,991 Views)

04-05-2012 11:10 AM in reply to: VinodBalasubramanian

AutoCAD is more and more using very complex graphic elements and a proper video card with the certified driver is very important so that hardware acceleration can be properly enabled. This is important even for simple cursor movement in the latest releases.

The default for the command line is 70% transparent and this will tax an older video card with outdated drivers quite easily. One way you can try and resolve issues is to turn off as much of this as possible: don't use transparency in the drawing (see transparency toggle on the status bar, layer settings, etc), turn off the viewcube and navbar, right-click the sidebar of any palette and set transparency for all palettes to 0 (100% opaque), ditto for the command line, etc.

This is just a general recommendation; if anyone is trying to run AutoCAD on old hardware or an old operating system (e.g. Windows XP), the reality is that you will likely see issues related to the graphics. Some people take issue with the expense but the reality is that your time and productivity cost money and with the $4K-$8K software you are running, it doesn't make sense to try and save money on the hardware. Buy a good monitor to take the stress off your eyes (the monitor will last 5 years at least) and spend a couple of thousand every two years to update the main computer and by all means get an SSD for your system drive.

Contributor
jtomkinson
Message 4 of 16 (1,952 Views)

04-09-2012 10:38 PM in reply to: jtomkinson

Hi GTVic,

As i stated I use the command line docked in it's orginal position, ergo there is no opacity.

Viewcube & all that other stuff is already off (quick properties was anything but quick).

I use only certified hardware & workstation class graphics cards in all the PC's in our office.

The hardware we have should be more than enough for the simpe 2D draughting we do.

The issue isn't with hardware, it's the fact that Autodesk have seen fit to take the command line & turn it into a graphical bells & whistles type object. We already have toolbars & icons for these.

Any power user, no matter the program, platform, environment; uses the command line when they want things done fast.

If you don't use it, you don't know what i mean.

The ability to turn the command line back to a pure command line would be very much appreciated.

*Expert Elite*
GTVic
Message 5 of 16 (1,942 Views)

04-10-2012 02:35 AM in reply to: jtomkinson

You can drag the command line via the two dotted bars and position it like 2012 and previous.

I took "original" to mean the default for 2013. For Civil 3D 2013 the default is 70% opacity instead of 100% which was the default for 2012. This means there is some additional processing power required each time the command line is updated. Click on the wrench icon to access transparency.

AUTOCOMPLETEDELAY can be adjusted from the default of 0.3sec to something lower as well but I'm assuming that is not related to your issue and it hasn't changed from the 2012 default.

Contributor
jtomkinson
Message 6 of 16 (1,915 Views)

04-10-2012 04:50 PM in reply to: jtomkinson

Incidentally, i have found that staying logged out of 360 keeps things a bit more nimble.

Product Support
VinodBalasubramanian
Message 7 of 16 (1,909 Views)

04-10-2012 05:58 PM in reply to: jtomkinson

Hi,

Interesting solution. 360 shouldn't be an issue at all with command line performance. Can you let me know your graphics card dirver version and the system information file from your machine.

Vinod Balasubramanian
Contributor
jtomkinson
Message 8 of 16 (1,904 Views)

04-10-2012 06:59 PM in reply to: jtomkinson

I can't attach the system information file as it's too big.

I'm using an Nvidia Quadro FX 540: Driver Version 6.14.12.5849

*Expert Elite*
GTVic
Message 9 of 16 (1,872 Views)

04-11-2012 09:00 AM in reply to: jtomkinson

You could try turning the entire InfoCenter off

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B001:409\InfoCenter\InfoCenterOn=0

ogun82
Message 10 of 16 (1,842 Views)

04-12-2012 06:52 AM in reply to: jtomkinson

I encountered the same problem; I was about to lose hope

but then realized that "the dynamic input" was turned on; so, it was not typing commands in command line, instead it types in dynamic line.

simply i turned off the dynamic input and problem solved.

have a nice day.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.