Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lagging and Cursor Flickering: MS issue with AutoCAD

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
pgrunawa
1730 Views, 5 Replies

Lagging and Cursor Flickering: MS issue with AutoCAD

I've looked around the site and seen that common solution to most lag/cursor flickering issues is to enable Hardware Acceleration. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do so, since my company is using a Pano Logic system. This Pano network basically creates virtual computers from a server that one can access with a Pano box and monitor (no client-side PC required). So I'm just assuming that AutoCAD will not be able to locate a graphics display driver on the Pano Logic system.

But I no longer think that this is the issue. I recently ran a GSTESTBENCHMARK to see if it was a matter of GPU throughput from the server the Pano uses. Here are the results:
-------------------------------
Wireframe      : 1996.922550 ms
Wireframe      : 91.140240 fps
Hidden Line    : 1410.788550 ms
Hidden Line    : 129.005867 fps
Flat Shaded    : 1554.326700 ms
Flat Shaded    : 117.092501 fps
Gouraud Shaded : 1403.358700 ms
Gouraud Shaded : 129.688867 fps

If I understand this report correctly, the fps (GPU-related) numbers are great. I should not have any lag/cursor flickering with those numbers. But the ms is very high, meaning the time it takes AutoCAD to retrieve information from the server is delayed significantly, hence the lag.

This may be a Pano related issue, and I suspect it is since before we made the switch to Pano Logic, we never had issues like this. I'm just hoping that some wizard can think up a solution. I want to believe it is a simple matter of configuring some settings, since the hardware is there. I don't know the exact specs of the server we use, but it is more than enough to run AutoCAD with.

Please keep in mind, I've read through the forums extensively on this issue (there is no related Pano posts, except for a previous post of mine that did not work). I've done all the troubleshooting I can with the forums.

Thanks in advance!
Peter

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
owing
in reply to: pgrunawa

Hello~

I'm engineer about NovaDatacom Korea; PanoLogic Distributor in South Korea.

I'm korean,so i'm not good at english, sorry for my english grammer.

In Pano Session with autocad application, about mouse movement, Mouse cursor movement is not good.

The reason is keyboard and mouse I/O traffic encrypted, so there are some delay. 

Try to use Native Mouse Driver, then mouse cursor movement become like PC.

Follow this,

1. run 'regedit'

2. Make Native Mouse registry below location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARTE\Pano Logic\PanoDirect\Native Session\

make new   ->  Native Mouse

This Pano mouse driver can be replaced by editing a registry key called Native Mouse of type String (REG_SZ).
The value to "True" the DVM will use.

3.Please note that the Pano Direct Service typically must be stopped and restarted before a change in this registry setting will take effect.

Just press pano button. ( Blue lighted button on the pano device )

==================================

note: if you using special keyboard ( Multimedia Keyboard, mouse combo type keyboard, etc), you need to add "Native Keyboard" in the same way

string(REG_SZ)  and value "True".

=================================== 

네이티브 설정.png

I hope it is helpful for you. Thank you.

If you have additional question, please e-mail me;  o_wing@novadatacom.co.kr

Message 3 of 6
pgrunawa
in reply to: owing

We did what you asked, and I do use a Multi-media keyboard/mouse combo. It worked to an extent. The mouse definitely moves more smoothly, but there is still a significant delay. And I think this is related to the unusually high ms we're getting while running AutoCAD.

This report was generated today (after the fix):

GSTESTBENCHMARK
Wireframe      : 3496.658900 ms
Wireframe      : 52.049687 fps
Hidden Line    : 3269.252600 ms
Hidden Line    : 55.670216 fps
Flat Shaded    : 2876.776550 ms
Flat Shaded    : 63.265254 fps
Gouraud Shaded : 2233.935500 ms
Gouraud Shaded : 81.470571 fps

I think it's definitely Pano related, but I have no clue to where to start looking into the problem.

I wonder, if anyone else can run this GSTESTBENCHMARK on their computer, what kind of numbers they would get (using Pano or PC).

Thanks for the help!

Peter

Message 4 of 6
owing

Here is my test result.

Environment:

Pano System: 6.0.1

VMware Flatform: 5.5

Guest OS: Win7 Prof 32bit - 2cpu, 2GB

Host Server Spec:

Intel Xeon X5550@2.67GHz  4core x 2cpu

DDR3 RAM (working at 800MHz)

Pano Device connected 19inch 16:9 monitor(resolution 1440x900@75Hz) and use Native Keyboard adn Native Mouse setting.

AutoCad version is 2014.

I did GSTESTBENCHMARK.

gstestbenchmark.png

It is a lot different from your test results. Approximately twice as you will see the difference in performance.
I think it occurred because of the monitor screen resolution and the difference server specification. What is your environment?

Message 5 of 6
pgrunawa
in reply to: owing

Yes, your numbers do look a lot better than mine.

We have currently 6 Pano boxes connected, and most use two monitors at 20.5:11.75 (resolution 1920x1200), using native mouse/keyboard settings as well.

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            X5570  @ 2.93GHz   2.92 GHz

RAM: 4.00GB

System type: 64-bit OS

Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1

Pano Logic Version 6.0.1.25582

I am not sure about the server specifications yet, but I will try to get ahold of that information for you. I think we may need to upgrade our server to run this many virtual machines on 11 monitors.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Message 6 of 6
pgrunawa

I turned down my screen resolution to 1600x1200 and noticed an immediate difference in performance. I think it may be simply an issue of upgrading the server then. What do you think?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost