AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
donande
Message 1 of 35 (1,743 Views)
Accepted Solution

Just loaded 2013, so far looks to be a useless for our use!

1743 Views, 34 Replies
03-27-2012 01:00 PM

They added a cloud (AKA: AutoCAD 360) and function for 3D mechanical users, if like myself you have no use for those niche market functions 2013 is usless.

They boost they enhanced the command menu, but like the ribbon I feel it will be hated by users.

Just some more bells and whistles to cluttering the screen.:smileysad:

2013 also user a new format instead of the 2010, the dwg I create was about 10% smaller, BUT the 14 page batch PDF using “dwg to pdf” was 10% larger.

And in my line of work where I post pdf floor plans and maps online that is unacceptable.

Autodesk most be a nice place to work as a programmer, seeing how they do nothing all year.

2013 is the worsted update in years.

P.S.

I should add the UI migration was great. (But seeing how nothing really changed, the difficulty should have been easy) 

8a good honest review is HERE

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 35 (1,725 Views)

Re: Just loaded 2013, so far looks to be a useless for our use!

03-27-2012 01:28 PM in reply to: donande

2013 is the worsted update in years

Worse  or  Waste   :smileyvery-happy:

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 3 of 35 (1,706 Views)

03-27-2012 02:13 PM in reply to: Patchy
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 4 of 35 (1,685 Views)

03-27-2012 02:42 PM in reply to: TravisNave

not fear of 13,  just corporate executive vision of the future that does not meet the needs of the overwhelming majority of users.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 35 (1,677 Views)

03-27-2012 03:14 PM in reply to: donande

8a good honest review is HERE

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 6 of 35 (1,668 Views)

03-27-2012 03:36 PM in reply to: donande

Well as long as you gave it a fair shot .... :smileywink:

AutoCAD has been good enough for years, I am not sure what else they could put in there for 2D users.  The verticals are getting the most attention now, maybe it is time for you to get off the upgrade train. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 7 of 35 (1,659 Views)

03-27-2012 03:42 PM in reply to: donande

I'm not quite ready to dismiss it as useless simply because I don't see any pressing need for the new features right now.  (psst: non-UI mode for scripting!)  In fact, the change in binary compatibility (or whatever its called for ObjectARX) makes it one of the most important updates in the past three years, and likely one of the most important for the next two years if they keep to the same development cycle.

A number of them look to be necessary "bridge" features to be expanded upon in later releases rather than trying to do everything in one shot which would require a budget they will never be able to get.  There's likely a number of internal changes which the users will never see, where they have re-written the code to incorporate newer software tools to make it easier to bug-fix and update for newer/different operating systems.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 35 (1,661 Views)

03-27-2012 03:49 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate

BIM is were CAD is headed: "verticals" will be where the rest of CAD business is headed to support tge BIM-free older client needs.

Just an FYI, college students get Autodesk products for free and none of them are opting for plain AutoCAD, the future is here now to change.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Mentor
greg.battin
Message 9 of 35 (1,596 Views)

03-28-2012 07:14 AM in reply to: donande

I know that I might get some grief for saying this but I think that it's worth saying.

I don't mind these "annoying" changes. I don't think that they are annoying either. Sure they change how a tool works or how the screen is displayed every year.... So what? Maybe they have a larger scope in mind as to to how some tools should function and instead of just throwing out a completely reworked version of the tool, they do incremental changes. Imagine how mad you'd be if every three years or so, Autodesk came out with a completely reworked/revamped version. People would be livid.

Sure, the software does cost a lot of $. But it does a great job and Autodesk seems to have a better long-term outlook for their products than other companies do.

~Greg

Distinguished Contributor
donande
Message 10 of 35 (1,591 Views)

03-28-2012 07:20 AM in reply to: pendean

Firstly my review is my “first impression” I thought by saying “I just loaded it” that was clear.:smileytongue:

I did not say anything bad about them adding the cloud, but generally revisions add a little something for everyone. And in my first look I do not see that, unlike past first looks.

Like when they added the ribbon or tool pallets they added enough other stuff, most users found something they could use.

Pendean, Thanks for that link to the review.

COJonez, as the CAD manager for facilities management at a major university with 3 campuses, over a hundred builds and over 2,000 acres I have good reasons for not switching to 3D. (and no we don't use the student version)

Not only would it not be practical, we have created iso/3D maps in the past and students and facility prefer the 2D maps.  And for emergency shelter and exit drawings keeping it simpleand easy to understand is a most.

A few years ago we switched to the yearly subscription that incudes updates, and recommend it.so my comments are not about AutoCAD in general, just this one revision.

The reversions I have asked for in the past would be of use to both 2D & 3D users, like Layout tab groups, more and easier customization or the ribbon (similar to what you can do with tool Palettes), copy layer filters from drawing to drawing, Pline width ByLayer, PDF layer filters that become layers when you plot DWG to PDF, etc. etc. Basically they need to give all current features some major TLC.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.