AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

johnb
Message 1 of 3 (158 Views)

Issue with install of AutoDesk Ultimate Suite 2013

158 Views, 2 Replies
01-02-2013 06:03 PM

Having a major issue currently with installing my AutoDesk Ultimate Suite. Problem is quite simple while the solution seems to be rather annoying. I have my computer built in a newer, more technology update fashion. I run a small yet fast SSD to only run my OS. The issue is this leaves practically no additonal space on my boot C: drive. I have a couple of other hard drives specifically for music, games, other very large programs. Well like any other major brand of software AutoDesk is attempting to install all of the Product suite, which is around 8-9GB of data on my boot drive C:. Put simply I just can not do that, the issue is I have not found a way to install the program on my alternative (non boot) drives and am quite frustrated.

Any help?

I am currently very frustrated as this install process seems to be very old fashion as new technology has surpassed the needs to have a massive, yet very slow main C: drive. 

Of course as luck would be it I can not get in contact with anyone from AutoDesk.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 3 (147 Views)

Re: Issue with install of AutoDesk Ultimate Suite 2013

01-03-2013 01:02 AM in reply to: johnb

Hi,

look to this site >>>here<<<, you'll find the installation procedure described for Suites, version 2013.

Scrolling downwards you find the following screenshot (where I marked now the destination folder for installation):

2013-01-03 09-51-40.png

And I hope your Autodesk Ultimate Suite 2013 looks similar to that screenshot.

Anyway, let me discuss a few points to your situation:

• AutoCAD installs some parts in a shared folder, that is placed within the "program files" folder of your system-drive, so in C:. This can't be changed and will use data-amount on C:
  • Also AutoCAD installs some parts in the C:\USERS folder and (for Win7) in the C:\PROGRAMDATA folder, that can't be moved to any other driver (as long as you have not modified the storage position for the users-directory.
  • If your SSD is so small that only the OS is stored onto it what do you expect then to be faster than before. Well, the OS will start faster than before. But as the program-files are to be loaded from slow discs, AutoCAD's start is slow, AutoCAD's module-loading (by default set to load-on-demand) is as slow as before
  • If you have not space for 8GB you also have not space enough to hold the TEMP-files on C: (except you erase the contents of the temp-folders every 2 hours, or so).

I know that SSD is not the cheapest way for upgrading, but if the size of the SSD is as small as just has space for OS then this investment is not the best one I think.

Just my 2c

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 3 of 3 (139 Views)

Re: Issue with install of AutoDesk Ultimate Suite 2013

01-03-2013 05:35 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

alfred is right

it has to install parts of the program to the OS drive this is usually a requirement by microsoft to be a windows certified program nothing autodesk can do about it

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.