Did you mean: 

Issue with Creating a Table: Text Scale

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2567 Views, 5 Replies

Issue with Creating a Table: Text Scale

Hello, 

I'm having an issue with the table on AutoCAD. Throughout the properties of everything, desired text style seem to work finely but not when creating a table. When it comes to creating a dimension, text,mtext comes out fine in scale but when it's within the table its a lot smaller. I'm really thinking there's something wrong with my table style. It's not picking up my text and it's not picking up the text justification(middle center) I have it set to. I have to always manually change its justification per cell and it's more work. Hope someone knows what's going on here and can help this noobie out, thank you! 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

this is an excert from a cad standards manual i hope it applies to your issue 

TABLES as SCHEDULES

The use of the new Table Format as schedules in AutoCAD has caused some confusion amongst users.

I hope I can clear some of the confusion up.

2 things have to be set to current for the tables to come into a drawing correctly.

1. Text style Arial is current style

2. Table style YOUR NAME is set to current in the drawing

All the schedules are formatted at 1’-0":1’-0" or 1:1 and are NOT annotative

The formatting is as follows there are three styles of cells

To verify what the current table style, enter at the command line <TABLESTYLE>

Select modify to confirm the text styles of the 3 cell styles, as shown in images 1, 2, &3 below.

The table style is RWS, in the templates. This needs to be set to current style in legacy projects.

(Begin with a template dwg and change the annotative scale to 1’-0":1’-0")

1. Data- Arial 3/32" width 1.00 text style NOT annotative.

2. Header- Arial Bold 3/32" width 1.00 text Style NOT annotative.

3. Title- Arial 3/16" width 1.00 text style NOT annotative.

Each cell has different types to select Data or Label

are you using margins? check that setting on the general tab

also dimensions in cells do get smaller as symbols are being used for fractions.

another place to look is the Format button this defines which Data type you want

Angle

Currency

Date

Decimal Number

General

Percentage

Point

Text

Whole Number

are the options

Message 3 of 6
scot-65

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

I'm having an issue with the table on AutoCAD. Throughout the properties of everything, desired text style seem to work finely but not when creating a table. When it comes to creating a dimension, text,mtext comes out fine in scale but when it's within the table its a lot smaller. I'm really thinking there's something wrong with my table style. It's not picking up my text and it's not picking up the text justification(middle center) I have it set to. I have to always manually change its justification per cell and it's more work. Hope someone knows what's going on here and can help this noobie out, thank you! 

Yea, aren't they lovely?

The issues I have dealt with can be described as follows:

Do not use a text style with a fixed, assigned height greater than zero.

If one file has a text style having fixed height of say 4 inches high and another file

has 5 inches for this text style, and your text style in the table has the same name,

but an assigned height of 3 inches, then the text will automatically adjust to the

declared height in file (not table) when inserting table. This could be good or bad

depending on the situation (for me it's bad). We use text styles with assigned height

greater than zero. When I create a table, I use the same font but the text style name

has a prefix of "T-", to give me hint that it is a style to be used for a table...

If when in one file you edit the table style to your liking and copy-clip

a table into another file that has the same table name, the pasted table

will inherit the default properties of the table style in the destination file.

To fix this, the behavior is similar to blocks - erase all and purge table name

before inserting. Redefine the table is not an option like one can do for blocks.

If a cell is either declared as text or general, and you enter a number, the

justification jumps to the top-right corner of the cell. This has been broken

since day one. Flip this and if the cell is formatted as numbers, and you enter

a letter, one will always see an annoying alert box. I like the "Match Cell" feature

in the right-click context menu.

Do not copy (highlight, then [Ctrl] + C) the text from one cell to another. Additional

formatting to the string is automatic (similar to MText's in-line formatting). It is best

to paste into DText, then copy-clip from the DText into next cell (or use notepad).

When editing the colors of the borders to an existing table, it would be no surprise

that some segments will revert back to default while other segments keep after

reopening the file. Again, broke since day one. Repeat this thought for a text style

change inside a cell.

And finally, if a table is rather tall, and one inserts as a block, the table is squashed

and the text inside the cells spills into the next cell. I found only two fixes for this:

a) Explode block.

b) BEDIT, highlight all cells and open the Properties flyout and enter 0.01 for the

height of the cell. Close the block editor and the cells *might* return to normal.

If that does not work, reenter BEDIT, deliberately increase the height of the cell

and repeat the cell height sequence.

52615976.gif

Yes, aren't they lovely?

I will give AutoCAD credit that table behavior has improved (since 2006?), and they

are a little more stable now, but issues still exist.

Good Luck.

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 4 of 6
chillegass

We insert tables all the time in our drawings. Recently we got two new identical CAD workstations. We are using AutoCAD 2022. When we insert a new table into a drawing on workstation #1, (see jpeg 1 left is how it comes in when inserted) the table comes in at the correct size and scale. All the text is the proper height. When we insert the exact same table on workstation #2. (see jpeg 2 left is how it comes in when inserted) When inserted the table comes in at the correct size and scale however the text is almost half the size it is supposed to be.
We have verified the application and all the user settings are the same on both workstations. On Workstation #2 we have recreated the table style, reinstalled the fonts, recreated the data links, verified all the table style cell styles, and general, text and border tabs are the same as station #1. We have spent hours searching the forums for a solution, to no avail. We have developed a sort of work around which is a few steps and would like to get this resolved. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Message 5 of 6
pendean
in reply to: chillegass

@Anonymous see your other duplicate identical post instead of breaking forum rules with double-posting, and asking in a post from the year 2014 😉
Message 6 of 6
chillegass
in reply to: pendean

I was not sure if when I replied to this it would show up in the forum in a way it would draw attention to the current question. MY bad, I apologize for breaking forum rules. I now see the error of my ways...LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost