Issue after VPCLIP

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
octavio2
3665 Views, 8 Replies

Issue after VPCLIP

Question about why odd shaped Viewport profiles are printing exterior lines:

I viewclipped two viewports on a sheet,  and modified the shape of the viewports so they are not rectangular any more, i.e., these have odd shapes so what has to be shown inside is covered only, and although the layer of the viewport profiles are still in the DEFPOINT layer (i.e., the surrounding lines are in DEFTPOINT), now these profile lines surrounding these viewports and defining their shapes are printing on the sheet.  

What is the reason that these clipped  viewport profiles are printing now even thought the exterior profiles are still in the DEFTPOINT layers?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: octavio2

What is the variable FRAME set to in your file?
Message 3 of 9
nestly2

As I recall, VPCLIP doesn't just modify the existing VP, it also creates an associated object on the current layer, Try removing the clip then re-create after changing the current layer to a non-plot layer. 

Tip: for greatest flexibility, I recommend putting Viewports on thier own layer, rather than on the defpoints layer.

Message 4 of 9
octavio2
in reply to: pendean

Thew FRAME is set to 3.  I changed it to 0 and then to 2, and these two clipped viewports still print the frames.

I had orginally created  only one logitudinal viewport and since the original did not fit on the 36" x 24" sheet, I made about four separate viewports from it, and all printed well without showing the frames until I  XCLIPED the two in the center, which are the only ones showing their frames.

(By the way, as an aside, I think Revit also has the same problem.  The XCLIPING in Revit also does the same thing, when you do it on a center viwport, the lines and other things begin to misbehave....)

Message 5 of 9
octavio2
in reply to: nestly2

I created the separate non-plot Viewport layer, and put the existing aggravating frames on that nnew non-plotting  layer, but they still showen on the prints.

Will do your other instruction sometime, redo the viewport, etc, and will get back to you to let you know....

Thanks to all who responded.

Message 6 of 9
nestly2

We'd be happy to have a look if you can upload a sample dwg with the clipped VP's that are affected.

Message 7 of 9
octavio2
in reply to: nestly2

Problem apparently solved: I created two completely new regular viewports and VPCLIPPED each with new polylines in DEFPTPONTS and with the same shapes of the unwanted printing frames, and this time the new clipped frames did not print.  Nestly, you provided the hint with  your "associated object" suggestion, and if that is correct and was the reason for the unwanted frame printing,  hope that Autodesk fix this up for the future.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 9
jggerth1

A couple of comments:

i would not expect Adesk to 'fix' this, since it's normal and expected behavior.  It's not broken in the least.

second, instead of using DEFPOINTS as a layer for non-plotting plines, create your own layer and set it to non-pplot.  DEFPOINTS is a 'magic' layer name hardwired in Acad, with undocumented behavior that may (or may) change in the future.  there are known problems/links between DEFPOINTS and layer 0, so you are safest simply managing your own non-plot layers and ignoring DEFPOINTS completely.

Message 9 of 9
3dwannab
in reply to: jggerth1

Had this problem too. So instead of creating the viewports from scratch. Creat a new temp viewport and set its scale to the vpclipped one. Match properties of the regular one to the vpclip one.

EDIT: When matching you may have to pick the vpclipped vp directly instead of a crossing selection which doesn't seem to work.

Worked for me on MAC 2016LT. Might help here also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost