Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS there a way to disable the new get started tab?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
albionpjl
2258 Views, 9 Replies

IS there a way to disable the new get started tab?

I'm getting a lot of crashes with C3d 2015 and it's always when I go to start a new drawing from the new get-started tab and choose to select a template.

Doesn't happen every time, but maybe 50% of the time. I've submitted at least 4 error reports this morning alone. Is there a way to disable that tab completely? so that new tab is blank?

I didn't have any trouble until I turned the layout tabs on, but if I have them off I discovered that the open dwgs no longer show in the window dropdown and that was very inconvenient as there was no quick way to move from one drawing to another.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
albionpjl
in reply to: albionpjl

I just stumbled across the command in another thread. It's NEWTABMODE. I've set it to 0 and now will see if that ends all the crashes.

Message 3 of 10
nrz13

albionpjl wrote: ...that was very inconvenient as there was no quick way to move from one drawing to another.

FYI, you can use the Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab keyboard shortcuts to cycle through open drawings as well.

And to move from Layout to Layout, you can use Ctrl+Page Up and Ctrl+Page Down.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 4 of 10
albionpjl
in reply to: nrz13

Well yes, and I HAD forgotten those commands so thanks, but you can't use them to go straight to the one you want. When the files were listed in the window dropdown I could just click on the one I wanted.

Unfortunately turning off the start page hasn't stopped the crashes so it may be related to having the tabs turned on. However I will turn off hardware acceleration (again) first to see if that reduces the issue.

Message 5 of 10
nrz13

True, you can't jump straight to the file you want that way, but if you're not working with more than a few drawings open at a time anyway, it's still probably faster to just Ctrl+Tab through all your open drawings to get to it.

I turned my MENUBAR on and saw that all of my open drawings are showing up in the Window dropdown regardless of whether I have the File Tabs on or off, Layout tabs on or off, the Ribbon on or off, or NEWTABMODE on or off.  It looks like that may be a separate issue you are having.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 6 of 10
darawork

I fixed an installation here that was crashing when using tabs in the drawings by disabling online content.

http://bit.ly/1nXsQME

I know it sounds unrelated, but after some deep searching into WER reports I found that WSCommCntr was crashing the program.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 7 of 10
GrantsPirate

I have plain 2015 and started experiencing the same problem.  I remembered from another time that it was the template defined in Files that was causing the problem.  I erased the template and renamed another file to that same name.  I had no more problems after that.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 8 of 10
albionpjl
in reply to: GrantsPirate

OK thanks, I'll try that.

Message 9 of 10
scot-65
in reply to: nrz13

With MENUBAR = 1
[Alt] + W will get you there.

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 10 of 10
albionpjl
in reply to: scot-65

All Alt and W seems to do is activate the Window drop down menu. It doesn't affect whether or not the new tab page shows so far as I can see. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

The person who said there migt be something wrong with my dropdown was correct. I don't know which settings altered it but it's now showing the open drawings like it should. I've got the tabs turned off again, the command NEWTABMODE removed the new tab page, and I've remade the template that may have been causing the crashing (only time will tell if that has fixed THAT issue).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost