Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it beneficial to install AutoCAD onto the SSD?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
14119 Views, 4 Replies

Is it beneficial to install AutoCAD onto the SSD?

Is there much benefit to installing AutoCAD software onto the SSD? I understand that with games there is not enough benefit to make it worth it to install them on the more expensive SSD, so one puts them the regular HD instead, is this true for AutoCAD also?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

SSD is the future and it doesn't hurt AutoCAD: we only buy SSD drives for all of our AutoCAD workstations.
Message 3 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Normally the operating system is on the solid state drive, so you won't have much choice - like most programs, the important parts of AutoCAD are installed on the same drive.  First I've heard of that with games though.  Everything which depends on fast access time (including game data) should be on an SSD, with a cheaper platter drive used for mass data storage.  As a result, the SSD should be sized sufficiently for all desired programs.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 5
jggerth
in reply to: dgorsman

FWIW -- I added a 120 Gb SSD to my home box, uninstalled all adesk products, and then re-installed onto the new 😧 drive (SSD).  2014 and 2015 Infrastructure Suites.  While that didn't speed the OS up,  the CAD products are noticably snappier.  So, yeah -- while I'd rather run the OS and _all_ my apps on an SSD, just using a small inexpensive one to hold the CAD installation made a difference.

I'm also running a 16Gb USB3 thumb drive dedicated to ReadyBoost -- I'm not completely convinced that make a noticable difference, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything either.

No benchmarking, just offhand impressions...

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

Thanks for the input. I was wondering becuase I thought most of the actual work being done is being done by the RAM and Video Memory. I believe most of the work being done is run off the RAM and Video Memory, however maybe an expert can clarify exactly how much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost