Did you mean: 

Invisible Text Layer

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
AllenJessup
5608 Views, 12 Replies

Invisible Text Layer

Has anyone delt with an Invisible layer. I had a drawing crash on me and now one of my text layers is invisible in all versions of the drawing; DWG, BAK, Recover and SV$

MTEXT     Layer: "historic_markers_MText"
                            Space: Model space
                            Invisible
                    Material: Sitework.Planting.Gravel.Mixed
                   Handle = 16e0e
             Style = "Standard"
        Annotative: No
Width:             1498.09
Normal:          X=     0.00  Y=     0.00  Z=     1.00
Rotation:           0d0'0"
Text height:        100.00
Line spacing:    Multiple (1.000000x =    166.67)
Attachment:      BottomRight
Flow direction:  ByStyle
Contents:        The First Courthouse

I don't know how it got that Material assigned but changing it or setting a shaded ViewStyle doesn't get it to show.

Allen Jessup

Civil 3D  / IDSP 2014
Dell Precision T3610, Xeon CPU 3.70 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,32 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K4000
Samsung SSD 512GB
HGST (WD) 512GB drive

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
nestly2
in reply to: AllenJessup

"Invisible" I believe, is a property to indicate the object is being hidden via the Isolate feature (ISOLATEOBJECTS / HIDEOBJECTS)

If you can't get it to UNISOLATE, perhaps use MOVE or COPYTOLAYER to put it on another layer.

Message 3 of 13
nestly2
in reply to: nestly2

Also, maybe look into OBJECTISOLATIONMODE.... If it's "1" that may explain why you can't see the objects in your baks and recover files either.

Message 4 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks. I'll try them when I get back to work.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
rkmcswain

Visible is just an object property like layer or linetype, just not as easily accessible for change.

As mentioned, layer isolate or hide object can do this, and ToolPac has a couple of tools for making objects visible and invisible.

properties.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 13
tedwardspg
in reply to: rkmcswain

Try the command UNHIDE.

ACA 2013
Windows 7 enterprise
Intel core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 - 4GB
Message 7 of 13
Shawn_Niles
in reply to: tedwardspg

Hi Allen,

I was checking to see if the suggestions provided allowed you to resolve this, or if you still needed assistance?

Shawn Niles
Message 8 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

Hi Shawn,

No nothings helped so far. I was just trying to put together a reply when the software locked. I think that Invisible is a property of the layer - not the Text. As soon as I kill the process and start over trying some things. I'll post againd.

Allen

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This email, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
proprietary information. If the reader of this email is not the
intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this email is prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
deleting this email immediately.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
rkmcswain

Here is an good example of using autolisp to make objects invisible, and it includes a function that will tell you how many objects are invisible in a given drawing also.

Message 10 of 13
AllenJessup

Thank you. That lisp does it. It also proves it was an object property as you said. I had begun to think otherwise because when I used inspect on one of the Mtext. It didn't show an invisible property.I see the Lisp is putting in the Visible property. So that confirms it is by object.

imt.PNG

A workaround I had just proved before seeing your post is to Wblock out all the invisible Mtext, open the drawing created by the Wblock where the text is visible, ( I changed the name of the layer because I thought it might be a layer based property), selected all the Mtext and did a copy/paste to the original drawing. The text us visible in the original drawing. I undid that and used the Lisp you linked to and that set the Mtext to visible.

Strangely. I never made that text hidden in the first place. It disappeared after doing a plot. The origin of the text may come in to play. It was originally from a SHP file that was attached using FDO and then saved to a DWG. Also I had tried Hiding all the invisible text and the UnHiding them. That didn't work so.....

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
AllenJessup

The clr lisp works. However every time I save the drawing the text is set back to Invisible and I have to run the lisp again to get it back.

I've attached a drawing containing only the text. If you open it you won't be able to see the text unless you run the lisp. You can list All and see that they're there.

Allen

Civil 3D / IDSP 2014
Dell Precision T3610, Xeon CPU 3.70 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,32 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K4000
Samsung SSD 512GB
HGST (WD) 512GB drive

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
rkmcswain

I can't explain that. The text goes back to "invisible" immediately after a QSAVE for me.

But I took your drawing and inserted it into a new empty drawing and I'm able to see the text and it survives a save, close, and reopen.
Message 13 of 13
AllenJessup

OK. So I'll work this way using the Lisp to see the text until I'm done. Then I'll use my first workaround of Wblocking the text out, erasing it in the original drawing then inserting the Wblocked drawing. The Lisp lets me see what I've done so far!

Just to make it weirder. I just NCopied the first MText of the day and THAT one doesn't turn invisible after a Qsave. All the rest still do!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost