Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible version error

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
SAG2013
13203 Views, 15 Replies

Incompatible version error

Okay, this is NOT the typical incompatible version error message that our office is experiencing. We are running (3) versions of AutoCAD ... 2010, 2013, and 2014. ALL, I'll repeat that, ALL, are saving down to 2010. Recently we have been getting errors when opening files on the systems running 2010 that the file being opened (or an xref within a dwg) is an incompatible version. Again, being that ALL machines are saving down to 2010, how is this possible?

We have also audited each of those files and found no errors within them, so I don't even think its a corruption issue.

This is driving us nuts! Is there anything else I should be looking at being the problem? Or any idea as to what the problem may be?

Thank you for any input in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: SAG2013

So it doesn't happen all the time, just sporadically? never the same file? or does it become 'incompatible' forever?
Aer you using Plain AutoCAD 2010/2013/2014, or a vertical?
What is the exact message you get?
Message 3 of 16
nrz13
in reply to: pendean

In addition to those quetions, I'd also add:

Are you able to manually save it as 2010 and have it work?
Have you verified that the files that are giving you this trouble are actually in 2010 format?

(the thought being that the save down feature isn't working correctly, not that you have it setup incorrectly)

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 4 of 16
dgorsman

Just a WAG, but the warning may be about AEC content.  This has a version, and it is *not* the same as DWG file format version.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 16
SAG2013

In reply to your questions ..

no, it happens not all the time. Just from time to time. Typically we'll find a file with this issue every few days. We are working on a very large project and there are numerous files involved, but every few days one or more files pop up that are creating a incompaitble version error either when opening them, or when being loaded within another file as an xref.

We are using plain ole AutoCAD 2010/12/13/14. No archtiectural desktop, no add-ons, no frills.

The messages we are getting when opening those files are that that file can not be opened as it is a incompatible version. (EXACT wording? .. waiting for the problem to occur to get the EXACT wording, but thats the basis of what we are seeeing.)

And when we have the issue of it not loading in another drawing as an xref, the exref manager just lists it as being an incompatible version.

So it doesn't happen all the time, just sporadically? never the same file? or does it become 'incompatible' forever?
Aer you using Plain AutoCAD 2010/2013/2014, or a vertical?
What is the exact message you get?

Message 6 of 16
SAG2013
in reply to: nrz13

If we encounter the error, we can not open it on that particular machine. But the machines running 2013/2014 are able to open it and save down to 2010 thus solving the problem.

And not sure how to verify that the file has been saved to the 2010 format by looking at it .. but we have verified that ALL machines are saving down to 2010 in their options throughout the programs. So that is why we are a bit stumped .... We have even verified that within the etransmit process and such that it is saving down to 2010.

In addition to those quetions, I'd also add:
Are you able to manually save it as 2010 and have it work? Have you verified that the files that are giving you this trouble are actually in 2010 format?

(the thought being that the save down feature isn't working correctly, not that you have it setup incorrectly)

Message 7 of 16
SAG2013
in reply to: dgorsman

No, the warning is that the file can not be opened becuase its an incompatible version, not that there are AEC objects that may not be compatible. That warning we will get opening certain files created in 2014 and opened on the older 2010 machines, but are still able to open those (of course having had it saved down to 2010 format).

Message 8 of 16
nrz13

The next time you have this problem, open the problem drawing with AutoCAD 2013/14 and hit F2 to see what format the drawing thinks it is in.  If it says it's in 2013, you know AutoCAD is not automatically saving down to 2010 as you've set it to and Autodesk needs to look into fixing it.  If it says 2010, then something else and possibly more troublesome is going on.

Either way, if you are on the subscription service, I would contact Autodesk immediately to start the direct troubleshooting process with them, and so they can get working on fixing this possible bug, if that's what it turns out to be.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 9 of 16
Jay_B

The next time you get the error, open the dwg stating incompatible version in Notepad (change file filter in notepad to all files)

Top of the file will state one of the following versions, does it indicate AC1024 as expected?

AC1027 AutoCAD 2013
AC1024 AutoCAD 2010,2011,2012
AC1021 AutoCAD 2007, 2008, 2009
AC1018 AutoCAD 2004, 2005, 2006
AC1015 AutoCAD 2000, 2000i, 2002
AC1014 AutoCAD Release 14
AC1013 AutoCAD Release 13
AC1009 AutoCAD Release 11, 12
AC1006 AutoCAD Release 10
AC1004 AutoCAD Release 9
AC1003 AutoCAD 2.6
AC1002 AutoCAD 2.5

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 10 of 16
pendean

Based on your responses alone, it would appear you are not keeping good track of the DWG formats and somewhere along the line your file(s) are resorting back to R2013 format.

See above tips on how to confirm: 2010 cannot open 2013 format files, someone is either not aware they triggered the change like REFEDIT, WBLOCK and an inattentive SAVE (not Qsave, there is a difference) or SAVEAS is being performed without verifying the consequences.

Setting SAVE to lower formats is not enough to counter the above possible triggers to resave the file to the program's native settings.

Now, if 2013/2014 give you this exact error (which I doubt), stop what you are doing and post that file here. Then we 2013/2014 users can see it for ourselves.

Good luck.
Message 11 of 16
drjohn

A passing thought.  If you xref in a file there is (or usually is ) a warning that it will update the xref to the current running version (whether you want it to or not.).  Even if you save back, it will not save back the xref files. Maybe that has changed in 2013,/14 though.

I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember getting caught in a similar trap a long time ago.

Just spitballin'

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 12 of 16
pendean
in reply to: drjohn

That's my guess: the OP really needs to eventually get everyone up on the same DWG format AutoCAD versions to avoid the issues ultimately to completely avoid the issue.
Message 13 of 16
Stormraven

We've had this problem in my office a couple of times, now, and I haven't been able to figure it out.  We're running AutoCAD 2015, saving down to 2010 file format.  Part of the problem is that by the time we realize that a file has been saved in 2013 format instead, it's too late to go back and determine exactly how the file was saved.  If some tool or procedure is circumventing the file format setting, I am left to guess as to what it might have been.

Our computers are set by default to save in 2010 format through the Options dialog box --> Open and Save tab --> Save as drop-down list.  But occasionally files raise compatibility issues, and when these files are opened in AutoCAD (and clickcing F2), the first line of text reads "Opening an AutoCAD 2013 format file."

This is an intermittent problem.  Saving the file again has so far converted it properly to 2010 format.

I am confident that neither XREF nor WBLOCK are involved in this issue.

I would be happy for any suggestions to help me figure out this problem.

Message 14 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Stormraven

You will need to undefine many of the core "save" commands and replace them with custom LISP routines that always guarantee your desired 2010 format. All of this can be done through startup routines and set everything before the user starts drafting.

Now remember, more functions easily trigger a native-format save than just WBLOCK and QSAVE, espcially if you have add-ons.

There is no simple easy cure for " But occasionally..." type problems, those are almost always controlled by the user performing a task outside of your current settings.

Need help customizing all the way?
Message 15 of 16
Stormraven

Thanks for your reply, pendean.  If the only solution is to circumvent AutoCAD's native functions, then this begs the question, has this been reported to AutoDesk as a software bug?

How many and which functions trigger a native format save?  I presume that only these functions would have to be disabled and rewritten.

If it comes down to writing the code, then yes, I'd appreciate some direction.  I am familiar with coding, but disabling and replacing native commands is something I've never attempted.

Message 16 of 16
pendean

There is nothing to report: Autodesk wants all of us to move forward, and actually do a decent job so far with AutoCAD in saving back 'conveniently". Imagine if you were using REVIT or other software...

AutoCAD is also designed to be open to customizing exactly for the reasons you have: I have not need for your feature, you and others do, even more have even more demanding needs beyond what the two of us want. Hence they open it for customizing.

Practice on your own PC, implement to a core of users to validate, then spread it across the company when perfected. Post back if you get stuck and need help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost