Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing pre-formatted word documents to 2013

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
pstans1113
338 Views, 2 Replies

Importing pre-formatted word documents to 2013

Is there a way to write/format something in Word and then place it into CAD with the formatting staying the same? We have bulletted files that sometimes go 4 indents in. When I copy and paste the text it all comes in as one unformatted text with everything to the left. I have tried PDF but I want the text style and size to be editable so as to match other text in the files. I have also tried dropping in a .txt file and it doens't show up. The .rft file works but it only shows the first page.

We are trying to make documents easily editable for a person who doesn't have CAD. They write and format their document in Word but don't want to have to have a person retype/format in CAD. If they have a small edit they would like to be able to change it in the word document and easily update the CAD file. (We have proposed just having them redline a hard copy and we edit the CAD file but they don't want to do that.)

Thank you for any and all help given! 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: pstans1113

Two choices:
- Copy/Paste from inside a Word document to inset an open MTEXT window. Some formatting may be lost.
- Attach the MSWord document as an OLE object: you are limited to about a letter-size (or A4) only so might have to do more that one object. INSERTOBJ command can help you get started.

AutoCAD's text editor is not an advanced word processor: so pair down fancy formatting to make it all work.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: pstans1113

Hi not sure if this will work for you but at one time in the options you could set word to be your text editor.

I haven't done that for a long time so I don't know what effect it might have on the programme these days but might be worth a try & if it doesn't work re-set back to internal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost