Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing paper space layout and model space objects from dwt into a new drawing

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Shiploose
8143 Views, 12 Replies

Importing paper space layout and model space objects from dwt into a new drawing

I'm trying to import a drawing from a dwt file into a drawing as a new layout. This would be perfect if the model space objects associated with this dwt file would import as well. Any suggestions?

Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dmfrazier
in reply to: Shiploose

"...import a drawing from a dwt file"

Not sure exactly what that means.  Please describe the procedure.

Message 3 of 13
Shiploose
in reply to: dmfrazier

I created a .dwt template for a dwg with the detail in model space and the text/dims in paper space. When I go to import the .dwt template into the dwg to create a new layout, I get only what was in paper space imported from the .dwt file. I'm trying to find a way to import drawings from seperate cad files (with things in both model and paper space) into 1 drawing, but in a new layout. 

Message 4 of 13
dmfrazier

It's the concept of "importing" from a DWT that is difficult to understand.  What actual procedure are you using?  What commands are you running to do the "import"?

DWTs are generally meant to be used as starting points (the "T" stands for "template") for new DWGs.  You can specify a DWT file when you run the NEW command and you'll basically get a copy of that DWT as a new DWG (unnamed until you save it) with all its model space objects and layout(s).  You can even browse to the DWT file location, select the file, and drag-and-drop it into the editor window and AutoCAD will create a new (unnamed) DWG based on the DWT.

Since a DWT is simply a renamed DWG, you can either use the DWT as stated above, or you can simply make a copy of it (change the DWT to DWG and give it a new name and location) and open it, or, if you just want "stuff" from the DWT (like blocks, layouts, layers, styles, etc.) to put into some DWG file you have open, you can use DesignCenter.

Does any of this help?

Message 5 of 13
Shiploose

• The procedure that I'm trying out is RT click layout tab, select "from template", then select the .dwt file.
  • This is the closest that I can get to achieving what I'm trying to do (which is to take various drawings with details in model space and text/dims in paper space and combine them into the same dwg file, but with each drawing pulled in getting it's own layout tab. If there's a way to do this that does not involve using .dwt file, then I'm certainly open to that.
Message 6 of 13
jporter

Try using the INSERT command to insert the data in model space and then the Design Center to drag the layout data from the DWT file into your drawing.
Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 7 of 13
pendean

SHIPLOOSE, you are not using any if the commands as intended and appear to be mixing up things in the process.

Your procedure to import layouts does just that: imports the content in the layout. The stuff not in the layout are ignored. (viewport content is not in the layout, they are in modelspace in the source file).
To bring in content from the source file's modelspace you must use INSERT or XREF.

You are assuming functionality that simply does not exist: may I ask if you have received any formal training? It would help others here better tailor their responses since you are obviously working outside the abilities of the program functionality.

Message 8 of 13
jporter

Shiploose, quick question...if it's a DWT file and you want what's in model space and what's in the layout tabs then why don't you begin a new drawing with this DWT file?
Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 9 of 13
dmfrazier

"...RT click layout tab, select "from template", then select the .dwt file"

As you've likely figured out (on your own or from other comments posted here), this procedure is intended only for "importing" a layout (paperspace tab) from another source (which defaults to "template", but could also be a file saved as DWG or DXF, as you can change the file type from the "Select file..." browse box).  Importing a layout from a template is generally used as a "quick and dirty" way to bring in a "standard" layout that is set up with a company title block/border and a pre-defined page setup based on (at least) sheet size and output device.

"...what I'm trying to do... is to take various drawings with details in model space and text/dims in paper space and combine them into the same dwg file..."

I guess the important take-away from all of this question-and-answer is that if you want to "merge" DWGs, or use model space objects and layouts from one DWG in another, it's not necessary to save the source as a DWT, and you must bring those two different things into the current DWG using different procedures, as described in the several responses you've received here.

Message 10 of 13
Shiploose
in reply to: jporter

I have over a thousand drawings set up where all that is required is copying a dwt, pasting it in a new folder, and xrefing the title block onto that dwt. That's going to be a lot of work if I can't come up with an easier way to set everything up.

Message 11 of 13
Shiploose

that is correct.

Message 12 of 13
pendean

If you have a 1000 DWG files using the same exact titleblock then why copy it first?

Or are you needing to do more like creating/adding project specific info etc?
Message 13 of 13
dmfrazier

"...all that is required is copying a dwt..."

Why do you copy it? (Is this what you really mean?)  And after you copy it, do you change the DWT to a DWG?  Common practice is to use DWTs as templates to produce a NEW DWG?  (If this is what you mean, then please excuse my confusion.)  When you use DWTs that way, you get the model space contents as well as the layout(s) all in one shot.

"...pasting it in a new folder..."

I assume this new folder is based on a new project(?).

"...xrefing the title block onto that dwt..."

Presumably your DWT (the source of your NEW DWG) already has a title block xreffed.  Wouldn't it make more sense to just change the path on that XREF to a new copy of the title block?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost