Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Excel data into text box or labels

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
hunter2379
2123 Views, 2 Replies

Importing Excel data into text box or labels

Hello everyone. New here. I have autodesk cad 2014, map 3d 2014, MEP 2014, and Rivet 2014. My issue is as follows. I have a blueprint of my current building and every semester different professors use different rooms. We're looking for a way to organize who is using which room during each semester. We have each room labeled by room number and area in sf.

I know in visio I can import excel data into data graphics and if I overlay that I can label the rooms and instantly update all the data graphics by refreshing the connection to the excel sheet. I was wondering if autocad had any feature like this. Something where I can inport excel data such as who is using the room for this semester and then later I can update the excel and have the changes reflect in the cad file.

Sort of like a text box which takes its data from the excel file, im not sure. Anything is helpful at this point. 

Thanks guys

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
3wood
in reply to: hunter2379

ATTOUT and ATTIN is a pair of commands (in Express Tools) which you can link data between AutoCAD and Excel smoothly.

You need create a block with necessary information as attributes first, such as room name, room number, professor name, etc. Then insert it into each room, either edit its attributes in AutoCAD directly (or in Excel after export it with ATTOUT as a txt file then ATTIN back).

Once you have the txt file exported from AutoCAD with ATTOUT command, you can edit in it Excel, just remember keep the "Handle" column.

Whenever you need update the information in AutoCAD, just use ATTIN to do it.

Message 3 of 3
hunter2379
in reply to: 3wood

Right now all the rooms have their room number and the area in them. How can I create a block and lay it over the room?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost