AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

PauloCadt
Message 1 of 9 (2,625 Views)

I'm having a lot of probs with Fillet and PEDIT

2625 Views, 8 Replies
07-19-2012 07:07 PM

I'm an AutoCad newbie. I've watched many tutorials but I'm stuck with Fillet and PEDIT. I want to draw this chair: 

chair_pics.jpg

But I can't get it to work. Multiple lines won't join with the PEDIT command, and Fillet doesn't work either. See pic:

chair_autocad.jpg

When I try to fillet the corners, AutoCad says: 'cannot fillet between these two entities'. I don't understand why.

When I want to join several lines with PEDIT into one polyline, AotoCad says it isn't a parallel line, although it looks good to me in 3D view.

AutoCad-file is attached.

AutoCad is great, but I'm having a hard time to understand.

Hope you can help me. Warm greets from The Netherlands.

Mentor
grimline
Message 2 of 9 (2,615 Views)

Re: I'm having a lot of probs with Fillet and PEDIT

07-19-2012 10:58 PM in reply to: PauloCadt

CAD won't let you Joint a "ARC and a "PLINE.

Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2015
Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 9 (2,610 Views)

07-19-2012 11:43 PM in reply to: grimline

Hi,

>> CAD won't let you Joint a "ARC and a "PLINE.

addition:...if they are not in the same plane.

For 3D-Polylines there are no arcs allowed currently, you may continue by running this job based on splines.

You can first create polylines, then _PEDIT them and use option _SPLINE, afterwards you can use _SPLINEDIT to convert them to splines, to join them, ...

Good luck, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 9 (2,605 Views)

07-20-2012 05:20 AM in reply to: PauloCadt

PauloCadt wrote:

I'm an AutoCad newbie.

When I try to fillet the corners

AutoCad is great, but I'm having a hard time to understand.

I would not use AutoCAD for a design like this.
I would use Autodesk Inventor.

Inventor can add a fillet (Bend) to 3D sketch sweep path.

Students can download Autodesk Inventor for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

This seat not exactly the same as yours - but notice the complex path for the gold trimming

Car Seat.jpg

Here is a tutorial (doesn't include the use of the 3D Sketch - Bend command but should give you some ideas).

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
PauloCadt
Message 5 of 9 (2,579 Views)

07-21-2012 06:14 PM in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for all your advice.

@ alfred: Your tip works! I've been able to convert the polylines to splines (first they were normal polylines, second they were 2D polylines, now they are Splines) and I've connected them together using the SPLINEDIT command.

But.... the Sweep doesn't work. I want to sweep a small circle to the spline path, but CAD says: 'Unable to sweep 1 selected' (see pic).

I'm still doing something wrong, but what?

chair_sweep_unable.jpg

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 9 (2,569 Views)

07-21-2012 11:28 PM in reply to: PauloCadt

Hi,

you are right, I overlooked that _SWEEP and _EXTRUDE does then not work based on splines.

Take a look to the drawing I attached. The way I did it was

When your splines are joined you should check that there are no real corners, check they are all like filleted

use _SPLINEDIT then to convert it back to a 3dpoly. It asks you for a precision ... be careful to set it to high because of the datamount generated then

After that you can use _SWEEP or _EXTRUDE with the circle and using your new 3dpolyline-path.

You see it's some struggling now and when this is your daily job I agree (this time:smileywink: ) with JDMather that AutoCAD is not the top tool for doing that. He would use Inventor, I would use 3DStudio Max (as we are known to that tools), anyway ... it depends on what your final gloal is (a technical drawing or some visualisation or ...)

BTW: did you install Inventor-Fusion with your AutoCAD? If so ==> take a look into it, it's worth to play some time for that workflow.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 7 of 9 (2,564 Views)

07-22-2012 06:32 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

alfred.neswadba wrote:

Hi,

you are right, I overlooked that _SWEEP and _EXTRUDE does then not work based on splines.

Sweep or Extrude on Path works fine with splines - if the resulting solid not self intersecting.

I'm sure this could be modeled in AutoCAD, but would be relatively difficult.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 9 (2,561 Views)

07-22-2012 07:15 AM in reply to: JDMather

Hi,

>> Sweep or Extrude on Path works fine with splines - if the resulting solid not self intersecting.

Every section will result in intersecting sections if you have a curve with small radius, just depends on how fine you set the section-distance and the problem in AutoCAD is: you can't control the sectional distance by yourself. In this case (this geometry) you can't get it work (at least I can't).

So I should have said "in this case", sorry.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
PauloCadt
Message 9 of 9 (2,552 Views)

07-22-2012 05:41 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hey Alfred and JDM,

Thanks again for your help. I've searched hard for a 3D program that fits my needs, even the free ones. I've also experimented a lot with Maya and Max demos.

Making the chair shapes in all these programs is pretty easy indeed. But eventually I bought AutoCad, because of the precision. AutoCad is without a doubt the best software for non-organic (product, architectural and interior) design. Especially the object snaps, isometric drawing, annotation and dimensions tools make AutoCad stand out.

So I already knew that AutoCad has its limitations with organic forms, such as my chair drawing. But it's good to know that there are workarounds (thanks Alfred, it worked!). So maybe AutoCad isn't the best software for more complicated 3D-lines, polylines and splines, but it has exactly the accuracy that I wanted.

@ JDMather: I haven't tried Inventor before, because I thought it was just an unpractial addon. But I've just looked into it, and it looks very good for the problem at hand. So thanks a lot for your advice.

@ Alfred. Your solution worked! I've changed the Spline back to Polyline (value 1) and was able to apply the Sweep.

Thanks again to you both!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.