How to scale in one axis

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
39718 Views, 6 Replies

How to scale in one axis

I have a simple question:

How i can scale along one axis in AutoCAD 2015? In earlier version i was transforming objects into blocks and everything worked. In 2015 version this method didnt worked.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
beyoungjr
in reply to: Anonymous

Several other CADD-CAM platforms have routines to do this but AutoCAD never really decided we had a need for that command.

Alas a solution...

1. Create a new BLOCK out of you object!  Be sure to uncheck the "Scale Uniformly" box and leave the "Allow Exploding" checked.
  2. Delete the original instance of your object that is now a BLOCK.
  3. Insert the new BLOCK and specify the scale change for the desired axis.
  4. Place the BLOCK as you desire and then Explode it.
  5. If you are sure you won't use another instance of the BLOCK then you can do a little housekeeping and Purge the BLOCK but don't get hung up on that as it won't be a problem just living in the deepdark unseen of a DWG.

I checked to see if there was something I didn't remember and Bob_Zurunkle "Expert Elite" had a previous reponse to this same question in 2011.

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 3 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

How i can scale along one axis in AutoCAD 2015? In earlier version i was transforming objects into blocks and everything worked. In 2015 version this method didnt worked.

As I do more often than should be necessary [second time in just minutes], I will ask:  What does it mean that it "didn't work" in 2015?  What steps do you take, and what results do you get, and how do they differ from what you want to happen?  And is there any kind of message?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: beyoungjr

@beyoungjr wrote:

1. Create a new BLOCK ....
  2. Delete the original instance of your object that is now a BLOCK.
  3. Insert the new BLOCK and specify the scale change for the desired axis.
  4. ....

That's more work than you really need to do.  Create the Block, and just change one of its scale factors in Properties.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 7
nestly2
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Yeah, and the quickest way to create a block is to select the objects and right-click drag them.  When you release the right button, you'll get a menu with the option to paste as block.   Explode or redefine as needed after you've scaled it with the properties palette.

quick block.gif

Message 6 of 7
beyoungjr
in reply to: nestly2

Sorry to have explained in my long steps through the Create Block process.

It's the educator in me that hopes to share a solution that any seeker can use (especially newbies).  It's the Pro's that can share the tricks and shortcuts and have long left the rudiments behind.

Lots of folks look for the shortcuts or tricks but some are still learning ACAD.

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 7 of 7
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: beyoungjr

I use that block trick to get certain PDF overlays to properly size in both directions. Smiley Happy

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost