Did you mean: 

How to reset map scale when resizing map images

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mozambique98
532 Views, 1 Reply

How to reset map scale when resizing map images

Hi,

I am new to Autocad and have been fussing around with this all afternoon, with no solution in sight.

I am creating a drawing based on a topo map download which was a geoTIFF image with UTM coordinates. To get the correct part of the map I am interested in I had to crop the image and then resize it in AutuCad. I am also not that experienced in dealing with mapping, scales, coordinates etc. I need to insert a scale bar in the drawing, but now the original scale of the image has been screwed up due to my adjustments.

How do I determine the scale of the image and hence create the scale bar?

Am I over-thinking this? Do I just need to measure the distance between two set points on the original image and then use that to create a scale bar on the new image..............just doesn't sound like a very 'polished' solution.

Any help very much appreciatd!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Neil47
in reply to: mozambique98

Was the geotiff image read in at the correct co-ordinates? I'm using AutoCAD Map and that will recognise the geographical co-ordinates but I'm not sure whether vanilla AutoCAD will do the same.

Basically, your CAD file should be at a scale of 1:1, so if you measure on your original image a distance between two points and get 1,000 metres then the same distance in AutoCAD should be 1,000 units (1 unit = 1 metre).  Scale only comes into play when printing the plan out, so if you were to print at a scale of 1:1000 then 1cm on paper = 10 metres on the ground

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost