Did you mean: 

How to manage XREF into a architectural project

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mazh045
387 Views, 1 Reply

How to manage XREF into a architectural project

Hello eveyone,

I'm a student and I've found a job in a firm. The problem I've encounted comes when managing commercial projects while the drawing process on autocad. The technic they taught me is just very bad. They don't really use xref, and they think that using it is complicated and a waste of time when it comes to manage it.

At shcool, I've learned so far to separate my drawing sheet. For example I could have few xref that looks like this:

x_base (which contain rough but clean existing conditions redrawn from a sketch or whatever)

x_base is xref'd in my Existing conditions and demolition

Then, existing cond. and demo. is xref'd into my Presentation Plan which is xref'd into my plantation, hardscape and implantation plans. 

So I was asking myself is I was right in the process?

If I'm right, I'd for example have a plantation's plan whith my xref'd presentation plan maybe with some layers off, containing my plants, trees and shrubs into the models. But would it be better to redraw entirely (or copying) my drawing? What happen when it comes the time to share your .dwg with another firm? Will you really give it the original file with the reference? Should I redraw entirely? I just don't know yet.

Also, the problem I've encounted with this techniques is when it comes to manage the layers. At the moment, everytime I insert new xref, my layers states are reseting. FOr the moment I save the states of my current drawing and load it in my second drawing plan. I don't know if my technique is good, but I'd like to hear your advices or your tricks to improve my efficiency as possible. I know the firm I work for are very bad to manage it, but I don't feel yet comfortable enough to teach my point of view as am I not also sure if my technique is the more efficient. The technician has developped very bad habits and that won't be easy to change their mind if I'm not convince about my technique and how it could actually a time saver. 

I'd like to learn the "good pratices" to manage xref during the entire process of a project. That's very important to me to learn how to master it. 

Again, thank you,

Best regards,

David

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
3wood
in reply to: mazh045

Hi David,

I want to discuss with you something else other than technology in using AutoCAD.

As in a company environment, you need consider your work as part of the whole team work.

If you are not able to persuade your colleagues using the same xref method to manage the project, the best to minimize future trouble is to follow the way they have established.

It may not be very efficient for time being but it works for most people especially someone who doesn’t know how to use xrefs and they may take over your works at some stage.

3wood

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost