Did you mean:Ā 

How to manage the Geolocation exactly

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
anders.blomberg
2595 Views, 9 Replies

How to manage the Geolocation exactly

I have recently upgraded to Autocad Architecture 2015 and discovered the fantastic feature of geo-location and bringing maps into the drawing. I have a drawing where I have worked in a known coordinate system (sweref99 13 30) and want to bing in a map. I need this to be as exact as possible. Now how come I have to chose a location for the marker manually? Shouldn't this be done automatically? After all, my drawing is done in a known coordinate system, and the map is also in a known coordinate system. Anyways, choosing a position for the marker manually means a certain degree of uncertainty about the markers location. How do I get the map to locate in it's exact position in my drawing?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: anders.blomberg

I agree that it should work the way you said, but as it stands... the only way I've gotten it to be exact is to type the coordinates in the map location picker and in model space manually. Granted, those numbers might not be the same because of zones and some other issues, and therefore might require some conversion. 

The moral of the story is this: with how complicated it is to be exact combined with the fact that the Bing Map you'll see is probably a couple years outdated, picking the right point by hand will get you close enough to line up your image with your linework. Plus, once you pick your basepoint, you can move it if it looks a little bit off. The hassle of being accurate to the inch isn't worth the trouble. Your image should be a guide and will look about the same to the viewer when it's printed.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Message 3 of 10

At the bottom of the screen, do you see your coordinate system in the status bar?  If not, then the drawing is not set to a coordinate system.  Just because it was "drawn" in a coordinate system, does not mean the drawing is set to a coordinate system.

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 10

If this is not in your status bar, then the drawing is NOT set to a coordinate system...

4-4-2012_8-46-10_AM.png

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 10

It seems like someone at the firm has set this up correctly for me. Are you implying that it should work when the coordinate system is set?

bar.jpg

Message 6 of 10

Yes sir.  Just type in GEOMAP, not GEOGRAPHICLOCATION.

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 10

So I removed the location and typed in geomap, and it responds by saying "No geographic location defined.". Any suggestions?

text.jpg

Message 8 of 10

Why did you remove the location?  It was already in the correct location, via the coordinate system that was set.

Todd Rogers
Message 9 of 10

I realised that the coordinate system wasn't actually set correctly by someone else, rather it appeared after I manually set the location via geographiclocation. So basically I have been drawing at coordinates corresponding to the coordinate system, but AutoCAD was never set to the system, as you first suggested. So is there an easy way to set it to my preferred coordinate system?

Message 10 of 10

You will have to drop a marker when you define the geographic location, then on the next page is where you set the coordinate system.  Sorry, but this is the only way.  It's much easier in Civil 3D and Map 3D.

Todd Rogers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost