Did you mean: 

how to lock the contents of dwg or block so that no one can edit it

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
24429 Views, 9 Replies

how to lock the contents of dwg or block so that no one can edit it

I want to lock attributes and geometry used in block or dwg file so that no one can edit drawing, what can I do?

If I want to change settings of block as it can not be exploded what is to be done?actually I created a block and now I want to change settings so that it can not be exploded.Is there any option in "Block Editor"?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
M_Hensley
in reply to: Anonymous

When in the block editor the properties palette has a section at the bottom named Block with the option to pick yes or no for allow exploding.

Message 3 of 10
kasperwuyts

Open the block editor: In the properties pallette, without having anything selected, you can find a property called 'allow exploding', set this as 'no'.

If you want to write-protect an entire drawing, just make the drawing file read-only.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts
in reply to: kasperwuyts

I did as you told and it works, but I have one more doubt; If I can change properties "allow exploding" as "no" then reverse of it is also possible.

So any one can edit block by changing properties from "no" to "yes". What to do in that case?Is there any other solution to lock block permanently?

Thank you for reply.

Message 5 of 10
JULIANCRESPO

how do you make a .dwg file "read only"???

Message 6 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

.... If I can change properties "allow exploding" as "no" then reverse of it is also possible.

So any one can edit block by changing properties from "no" to "yes". What to do in that case?Is there any other solution to lock block permanently?

The short answer is No.  This has come up several times before -- some Searching [of the Community at upper right, not just of "this Board" farther down] will reveal various threads about it, in which you will find assorted suggestions and workarounds and discussion of why it's not possible to do so in any absolute way.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 10
rculp

There is no viable way to permanently lock a block, what ever lock you apply can be picked and unlocked.  You could use XREF's instead of blocks and leave the referenced files in a write-protected access controlled folder, but you could still bind it as a block and edit it.

Why are you trying to lock blocks??  

If you have errant users who muck with stuff, training is the best solution, locking never works.

If you're trying to protect the blocks from use by others outside the organization, can't happen in any real way that would not back-fire on clients and end up costing you business.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 8 of 10
pendean
in reply to: JULIANCRESPO

>>>...how do you make a .dwg file "read only"???...<<<

Put it on the server in a folder, ask your IT to make that folder read-only for everyone, and no one in your office can ever edit it.

For anyone outside of your office, you have no choices at all. None. Nada. Nyet. Zip. Forget-about-it. Except with a binding contractual agreement drawn up by your lawyers and theirs and your/their country's legal system to protect your copyright.

Message 9 of 10
Skirtams
in reply to: kasperwuyts

Allow or not allow block exploding is not a solution for this problem because anyone can open my non-explodable block and make it explodable. 

Message 10 of 10
JPomeroy
in reply to: Skirtams

I was taught that if you suspect someone may be misusing your IP, don't do business with them.  If that isn't an option, avoid sending the actual .dwg, just send .pdf files to them.  

As others have said, if someone is interested enough, these things can always be reversed or "picked."  

There will always be unscrupulous people in the world: no security system can prevent that.  Hopefully the issue isn't actually dishonesty as I am assuming, and is (as @rculp suggested) possibly just a training issue with less-knowledgeable associates.  That is frustrating, but eminently solvable!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost