Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get volume of a 2D model without rotating it?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3685 Views, 7 Replies

How to get volume of a 2D model without rotating it?

Hello,

I have a irregular 2D model and need to find the volume of it when I rotate it about the center line.

Is anyone aware on how to do it without converting the drawing into a 3D, by using any add-ins or ....?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: Anonymous

You will have to do it manually. If you want to you can post the drawing here and I will quickly convert it and send you the steps

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> s anyone aware on how to do it without converting the drawing into a 3D

You can take your schoolbooks and read about how to calculate it by hand 😉

But what is the problem, to start command _REVOLVE, create the 3D-object from the 2D-contour (closed polyline) get it's volume (command _MASSPROP) then run _UNDO and that's it.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 8

If you dont have 3D experience it gets quite tricky. Especially in AutoCAD. If I can see what type of model you need I could tell you exactly how to create the 3D. Then You can do what Alfred suggested and get the volume and undo afterwards

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Hi JoAnn,

Thanks for offering to help.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to upload it, as it is protected. Anyway, I have solved it.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred.
Message 7 of 8
JoAnn_Hogan

Glad we could help 😃

Jo - Ann
Message 8 of 8
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have a irregular 2D model and need to find the volume of it when I rotate it about the center line.

Run the Polyline Edit (PE J)command with Join option (or the Join command).

Follow the command line to join the boundary together.

Run the Area (AA O) command with the Object option to get the area.

Post the area results here (simply a number, no proprietary data needed).

Indicate the degrees of revolution.

Someone here will do the math for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost