how to find an intersection in 3d mode?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AlexJones14
2438 Views, 6 Replies

how to find an intersection in 3d mode?

Hello all,

I am trying to create that triangle shape on the attached image(proe-final),. so I drew a center line and offset it to 5units to the left and 5 ubites to the right and extended them to cross the cylindrical shape ( shown by red arrows in the image) and now I am trying to create a line in  25unit lenght from the intersect points ( the blue cross marks) so i can create that triangle but I cant get the intersect point to snap.

I would appreciate your help .

also if there is a better and easier way to create that triangle shape I would like to learn from you.

Thanks

Alex

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: AlexJones14

Since this is not a version-specific issue, you might do better posting it in the Drafting Techniques Forum.

I do see an issue with the diagram, which surely will cause you to get a slightly different result than it looks like.  The top of the 10-unit-wide angled surface meets the curved edge of the top cylinder surface.  Either the curve of the top of the cylinder will need to have a little chord interruption along the top of the sloped surface, or the sloped surface will need to warp toward the top to meet the curve, or the sloped surface will need to be itself curved all the way down, or the sloped surface will need to meet the cylinder at a slightly varying elevation along the curve of the cylinder face, a little lower in the middle than at the edges if the edges meet the top of the cylinder.

I don't have a solution to suggest yet, but if I think of anything....  It could be you need a trigonometric calculation relative to the center of the cylinder to determine the exact location for the blue X's.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 7
AlexJones14
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you very much Kent,

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Solution attached.

Extrude the rib.

Extrude Rib.PNG

Slice with surface. (or Presspull or Extrude and Subtract)

Slice with Surface.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
nestly2

@AlexJones14 wrote:
.... now I am trying to create a line in  25unit lenght from the intersect points ( the blue cross marks) so i can create that triangle but I cant get the intersect point to snap.

AutoCAD doesn't have the capability to Trim or Extend 2D objects to an edge or face of a 3D object, so create a temporary arc or circle that coincides with the 3D object and trim/extend to that.

Message 6 of 7
AlexJones14
in reply to: nestly2

Appreciate  Nestly .

Message 7 of 7
AlexJones14
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you very much JD,

I will try to recreate the part the way you discribed.

Appreciated your time

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost