Distinguished Contributor
133 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 15

How To Create Dynamic Block With Attributes - Drawing Title

49454 Views, 14 Replies
08-08-2012 03:17 PM

Hello folks.

I have searched high and low and still could not find a tutorial to really explain how to create a drawing title with attributes (Detail Number, Sheet Number, Detail Title, Detail Scale).  All I find are on creating dynamic block, which I could achieve, but I need one for a block that has (or will have) attributes.  I was able to find a tutorial on attributed door numbers, but it does not work for drawing titles that has attributes. GOAL:  I would like to have all my seven drawing titles in one file and to be able to stretch the leg of any selected title to a desired length.

Tutorials please!

Thanks Oka

*Expert Elite*
588 Posts
109 Kudos
Post 2 of 15

Re: How To Create Dynamic Block With Attributes - Drawing Title

08-09-2012 11:03 AM in reply to: omorah

It will be a hard thing to find a tutorial showing the exact same block you are trying to create!

Creating a dynamic block with attributes is virtually the same as creating one without them. Attributes are just another object to stretch, rotate, etc. Within the block editor there is a ribbon panel to define attributes, or use the command ATTDEF. I recommend creating attributes with a locked position when stretching an attribute's insertion point within a block. The easiest thing to do is to create the block with all its components, and add the dynamic parameters and actions after.

If you are having issues, post a drawing with your 'drawing title' block and people here can help.

~ Mary

PS try the Dynamic Blocks Forum for the best answers on complicated blocks.

133 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 3 of 15

08-09-2012 11:16 AM in reply to: MarySeufert

Yes, it's been hard finding a turorial.

Creating a dynamic block with or without an attribute is not the same.  I have created dynamic blocks without attributes.   Attributed blocks, when selected to open is where the trick is.  Yes, my blocks are already created with the position locked.  But, then a "wblocked" block will not work (editable).  My failing part is how to bring in a block in to add as a dynamic block.  If an attributed block is created, then it is a block to be edited.  But then if it is brought into another block, then it becomes a 'static' block.  This is where I am getting confused on how to do it.

My goal is have our office blocks created into dynamic block.  The title is just like the one in the AutoCAD's tool palette (Drawing Title), but this time I have seven more of them I would like to add to one file as dynamic.

Thanks

Oka

*Expert Elite*
588 Posts
109 Kudos
Post 4 of 15

08-09-2012 12:14 PM in reply to: omorah

omorah wrote:

Creating a dynamic block with or without an attribute is not the same.

Sorry we disagree. Attributes are just another type of object that can be in a dynamic block, or regular block for that matter. The block simply contains an entity that requests data to then be displayed as text when the block is inserted. If you "nest" a block within a dynamic block, the nested block's attributes will not be editable when the dynamic block is inserted. Common sense on that one. They don't add any extra complications beyond that and I am not even going to address them specifically from here on.

On to your real problem... You have 7 blocks that you want to combine into one, right?

1. Open up a scratch drawing.
  2. Open the block editor, create a new block
  3. Add a linear parameter (You can add this latter as well, but would have to go through each visibility state to make it visible)
  4. Create a visibility parameter with a visibility state for each original block
  5. One by one insert each of these blocks into the appropriate visibility state, explode the block down to its basic components
  6. (Skip this step if too complicated or not applicable) You can delete duplicate components that are shared between your original blocks, just make sure you go through and make visible the correct items for each visibility
  7. Toggle the visibility mode so that all block components are visible, add the stretch action
  8. Close the block editor, insert the new dynamic block and test it out. Fix any bugs
  9. WBlock the new dynamic block to your preferred location.
  10. Insert the new dynamic block into your working drawings from there.

133 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 5 of 15

08-09-2012 01:24 PM in reply to: omorah

On to your real problem... You have 7 blocks that you want to combine into one, right?

Right!  But for now, I am testing with only three blocks.

1. Open up a scratch drawing.

2. Open the block editor, create a new block.

3. Add a linear parameter (You can add this latter as well, but would have to go through each visibility state to make it visible)

4. Create a visibility parameter with a visibility state for each original block.

5. One by one insert each of these blocks into the appropriate visibility state, explode the block down to its basic components.

6. (Skip this step if too complicated or not applicable) You can delete duplicate components that are shared between your original blocks, just make sure you go through and make visible the correct items for each visibility

7. Toggle the visibility mode so that all block components are visible, add the stretch action.

I don't know how to make all block components visible after I have already set each block to its visible state.  When I select any visible state, only that object stays visible.

8. Close the block editor, insert the new dynamic block and test it out. Fix any bugs.

Closing the block editor does not work here, it asked me to save changes and then after that, the screen is blank, I had to use SAVE BLOCK for it to remain a block.

9. WBlock the new dynamic block to your preferred location.

10. Insert the new dynamic block into your working drawings from there.

This past week, I could not do this.  Anytime I create visibility state of one of the blocks, I get stuck on that state and can't go to the any other state.  Could be a bug.  Now, I can.  I have to switched from 2013 to 2011, since the latter seems to be none issue for me. When I did #9, and used SAVE BLOCK, the final block is seen but not editable (ddatte). When I did #5 (exploded the blocks), when done, the screen was blank.  Nothing to use for the "wblock"ing.

At the moment, I did not add the STRETCH variable - just one step at a time.

I am attaching the three (single-file) block I am trying to use - if you have any spare time to take a look at it.

Thanks for your time.

Oka

*Expert Elite*
28,642 Posts
2,129 Kudos
Post 6 of 15

08-09-2012 01:36 PM in reply to: omorah

omorah wrote:

I am attaching the three (single-file) block I am trying to use - if you have any spare time to take a look at it.

Thanks for your time.

Oka

I don't see any attachment.

In your first post - I don't see why a block for this purpose needs to be a "dynamic" block.

Titleblock attributes were used long before dynamic blocks were avialable.

I recommend searching the free classes here http://au.autodesk.com for some ideas.

Maybe once you get the attachment here it will be clearer what you are trying to do.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Distinguished Contributor
133 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 7 of 15

08-09-2012 01:43 PM in reply to: omorah

Oooops!

Why a dynamic block.  Just because I would like it to be.  In the office, we have lots of blocks I have combined to be dynamic.  In this case, it will be less files to deal with and look for.  For me, it's been much efficient for me to use blocks and even professional stamps.  Just a choice!  I did not have that with AutoCAD R8.

I will go to the link you sent me.  I went to the Autodesk University's courses, and all I could see were on regular blocks, none for attributed ones.

*Expert Elite*
588 Posts
109 Kudos
Post 8 of 15

08-09-2012 03:24 PM in reply to: omorah

Here you go.

133 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 9 of 15

08-09-2012 04:16 PM in reply to: omorah

Mary T-H-A-N-K   Y-O-U!

Just what I needed.  I wonder where I was going wrong?

I sure appreciate your fixing this for me.

Thanks again.

Oka

*Expert Elite*
588 Posts
109 Kudos
Post 10 of 15

08-09-2012 04:49 PM in reply to: omorah

No problem. Try picking apart the block bit by bit to figure it out. Basically you have a circle, line, and three attributes that remain constant between all visibility states. The scale components are manipulated by the visibility states. The stretch action modifies the line length and moves the scale bar with it, and is visible in all states. I basically followed the steps I listed. The only thing I did differently was burst the scale components of your original blocks, to break the scale predefined attributes to straight text.  Its hard to pin point where you are going wrong through this form of communication. Quite a bit gets lost.

~ Mary

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!