Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create different point symbols

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1031 Views, 6 Replies

How to create different point symbols

I need to create more than one set of points with different symbols. When I set the DDPTYPE shape it affects all the points in my drawing. How do I set a shape for all points going forward, or all points selected, without affecteing the other points already drawn?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
steven-g
in reply to: Anonymous

I think your only option would be to create blocks if you need different symbols in the same drawing. The plus side is you could add different styles into one block and use visibility states to swap between them.

Message 3 of 7
Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

I need to create more than one set of points with different symbols. When I set the DDPTYPE shape it affects all the points in my drawing. How do I set a shape for all points going forward, or all points selected, without affecteing the other points already drawn?

As suggected by Steven-g use blocks or with Map3D use the FDO tools and create the points in a new SDF connection then set the point display based on the data. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 7
rkmcswain

GPSJane wrote:

I need to create more than one set of points with different symbols. When I set the DDPTYPE shape it affects all the points in my drawing.

Unfortunately, that is just how POINT entities in AutoCAD work. You have one choice for how they all appear.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

I will try that.I actually have no idea what you're talking about but I will look it up tomorrow and ask you if I can't figure it out 😉

Although I can't believe you can't set up points (and line-endings too for that matter) as a style! wtf?

Message 6 of 7
dgorsman

Not exactly to the point of a "WTF".  A single point style seems to be sufficient for most general AutoCAD work, as there is very little demand or outcry for such a feature.  For those who are doing mapping or civil work where it is commonly in demand, most of them are using an appropriate vertical product (Map3D or Civil3D) which *does* include point styles along with a host of other discipline-appropriate tools.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Oh thanks! I can actually do it in Map3D but now I must go ask there because my layers are not set up for that.

Thank goodness because I had already used blocks and that messed up the point import to modeling software and this FDO tools things sounds complicated 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost