AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
juliewaddell1075
Message 1 of 7 (1,321 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to Assign my keyboard "zoom + -" key to zoom a drawing in or out

1321 Views, 6 Replies
01-08-2013 02:08 PM

My keyboard has a zoom key with + and - selections.  I use to use this key in drawings to zoom in and out when in the AutoCAD application when we had Windows XP.  Now that I have Windows 7 I can't do this.  I can't find out how to assign this key on the Microsoft Keyboard interactive software either.  I have the other keys assigned as desired.

Can I still use my keyboard zoom key to zoom in and out in drawings?  If so, how do I set this up in AutoCAD, or do I need to do this through a Microsoft keyboard application?

Your help will be truly appreciated.  This zoom function saves so much time for me!

Sincerely,

JamJaws31

Sorry, This is not a direct answer to your question, but you do know that the mouse wheel controls zooming among other things, right? You can control the amount of mouse wheel zoom by setting ZOOMFACTOR.

Otherwise, it might be a custom setting in your keyboard driver software if it's some kind of 'special' keyboard.

You might be able to customize any button on your keyboard like the function keys using the CUI as well.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 7 (1,312 Views)

Re: How to Assign my keyboard "zoom + -" key to zoom a drawing in or o

01-08-2013 03:00 PM in reply to: juliewaddell1075
Keyboard app controls this, unless you all did something else in AutoCAD while in XP (a now lost customization perhaps).
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Mentor
hardin
Message 3 of 7 (1,295 Views)

01-09-2013 07:43 AM in reply to: juliewaddell1075

Sorry, This is not a direct answer to your question, but you do know that the mouse wheel controls zooming among other things, right? You can control the amount of mouse wheel zoom by setting ZOOMFACTOR.

Otherwise, it might be a custom setting in your keyboard driver software if it's some kind of 'special' keyboard.

You might be able to customize any button on your keyboard like the function keys using the CUI as well.

Mentor
rapidcad
Message 4 of 7 (1,282 Views)

01-09-2013 08:29 AM in reply to: juliewaddell1075

I think you will have to dig into the Microsoft keyboard driver to see if it will allow custom commands. Then go into the CUI and add an accelerator to drive it. I have the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and the driver for it could be configured to my liking, Thumb button =  Zoom Window, 2nd thumb button = Zoom Previous. Take a look at how this looks in the following screenshots - this is probably similar for your keyboard:

This is my mouse driver's options:

Capture1.JPG

And then program specific (AutoCAD) options:

Capture2.JPG

And then finally, this is what I did to create the Accelerator (AKA Shortcut Key):

Capture3.JPG

Hope this answers your question.

Ron

Ronald A. Powell
CAD Developer/Operator
TGW Systems Inc.
Spring Lake, MI
Contributor
juliewaddell1075
Message 5 of 7 (1,244 Views)

Re: How to Assign my keyboard "zoom -" key to zoom a drawing in or o

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: hardin
Thanks for the help. I'm not sure how I did it, but it may be that I opened CUI and went through the keyboard shortcuts. I'm not sure it was this because nothing showed on the line in the dialog box when I operated the zoom key from the keyboard. I sure appreciate you getting back with me. The problem is resolved now unless you have further clarification on this. [?] -- Julie A. Waddell,
Sincerely,

JamJaws31
Contributor
juliewaddell1075
Message 6 of 7 (1,244 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: pendean
Thanks for the feedback. -- Julie A. Waddell
Sincerely,

JamJaws31
Contributor
juliewaddell1075
Message 7 of 7 (1,244 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: rapidcad
Thanks Ron. Got it taken care of. -- Julie A. Waddell
Sincerely,

JamJaws31
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.