Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add Custom Properties to objects in AutoCAD?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Cervino99
16072 Views, 12 Replies

How to add Custom Properties to objects in AutoCAD?

Hi

Is there any (non programming) solution where I can add custom data/properties to objects in plain AutoCAD?

(I know I can in Civil 3D though, using Notes/Extended Properties etc etc)

We want to allow users to add their own unique ID to all their drawn objects, and we don't want to use Entity Handle as that is not anything we can choose  😉

We're using that ID to connect other datasources (ODBC) to Navisworks and we would like it to work even from AutoCAD, even though we have Civil 3D inhouse.

Any ideas, using plain AutoCAD straight out of the box?

All the best  // Ove Cervin

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Cervino99

Hi,

>> Is there any (non programming) solution where I can add custom data/properties to objects in plain AutoCAD?

Only within blocks you can assign attributes and put your ID's into them.

Other geometry objects don't have the aibility (without developemt), so you either can use blocks or you need development.

BTW: how would you get/create a new unique ID without development?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Plus, anything custom wouldn't be read by Navisworks without a custom DWG reader.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 13
rkmcswain

@ove.cervin wrote:

Hi

Is there any (non programming) solution where I can add custom data/properties to objects in plain AutoCAD?

What about Extended Entity Data?

You can use the command XDATA to append new data, and the command XDLIST to view the attached data.

More info: http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/autocad/extend-autocad-entity-data-4772

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 13
Cervino99

Hi

Using Blocks are too time consuming, and not a good solution in this way we need it.

If you are familiar with Civil 3D there is a field in "Properties" called "Notes".  Just type what you want in it. Very simple.

This is directly visible in Navisworks.  That is the kind of solution I am looking for.

Thanks a lot for your input    BR  / Ove Cervin

Message 6 of 13
Cervino99
in reply to: dgorsman

Hi

It is readable in Navisworks in some cases. If you in the Notes field, under Properties if you are running Civil 3D etc, you can add custom information "in one click".

That's why I was checking if I have missed anything similar easy going thing in plain AutoCAD.

Thanks a lot for your input    BR  / Ove Cervin

Message 7 of 13
Cervino99
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi

Thanks, I know.    Sorry I missed to mention that in my question  Smiley Sad

As we are looking for a very quick way of data entry (select object, type data - done!  Kind of...) this would be too cumbersome, using xData.

I think we will have to say to all users that we will be running Civil 3D and make use of the Notes field.  That way we can connect the user "ID" put there to connect Navisworks to Excel etc.

Thanks a lot   BR  / Ove Cervin

Message 8 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> If you are familiar with Civil 3D there is a field in "Properties" called "Notes"

In Civil3D: You draw a circle ... and where do you now type in the value you like?

In the property window (while selected the circle) I see no property item like you mentioned. Can you describe how you do that?

BTW: I don't have NavisWorks installed, so I can't try that: maybe the property "Hyperlink" which indeed every AutoCAD geometry type has and is editable directly in the property window is a help?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 13
Cervino99

Hi

Unfortunately the Hyperlink option doesn't allow "invalid links"...  (like a text input  ABCD12345)

In Civil 3D, in the Properties dialog, you have a few tabs. One is Extended Data. There are Notes to be used.

See attached

BR  / Ove Cervin

Message 10 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Unfortunately the Hyperlink option doesn't allow "invalid links"...  (like a text input  ABCD12345)

See my screenshot, I don't have a problem with that.

2013-08-14 09-09-48.png

>> In Civil 3D, in the Properties dialog, you have a few tabs. One is Extended Data.

Yep, now I see and know what you meant. Never used that. So thanks for pointing me to that.

After a few tests: saving your drawing as DXF loses that value, So I fear that data-communication might be limited to DWG

Also to take care about your workflow if you need unique ID's or anyone has to check about that values: without any tool the only way is to click every single object and look to that part of the property window. Also copying a geometry object also copies the additional text content (in case of unique id's a real problem) .... but that are just thoughts, so don't care if that all is not valid for your workflow.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 13
Cervino99

Hi

Thanks for you comments.

I agree on all parts. There are some risks with this, yes.

We are able to search all we want in Navisworks using this as you can combine several conditions in your searches.

(Combining the "ID" in Notes from the model with additional data from Excel)

Thanks

// Ove

Message 12 of 13
dgorsman

That extra information is considered Civil3D, and Navisworks already knows how to deal with that.

For that to work in vanilla AutoCAD you would need to do the same thing as the Civil3D development team: create the tools to add/remove/manage the extra data, and create tools for Navisworks to read/process the extra data.  As you noted, you might be better of going with a vertical like Civil3D which already does that for you.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 13
SWFPAC

I am sure this is an old post, but Alfred you are a GENIUS!! I have been looking for a simple way to add a custom notation property to PLINES forever...then I found your post. Using the Hyperlink property field is so simple, easy to see, fast, and it now follows into DXF even. I am an old time CV2X/3X/4X, Cadds5 user and we used nlines (nodal lines) and cnodes (connect nodes) to add functionality to simple diagrams or electrical designs. These entities allowed you to add information like wire type, color, size, build version, etc... Now I am trying to actually use an excel file with the cable types, conduit types/sizes listed that I can just use the hyperlink property on entities as this seems easier than using the data extraction or link data commands. I just want information that follows the plines into a detailers drawing (with the model) and allows them to just check the pline and it will give them the information needed for actual annotations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost