Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a new drawing/plan/object/(what do you call it here?)?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
JasmineEllaine
269 Views, 2 Replies

How do I create a new drawing/plan/object/(what do you call it here?)?

Attached is a screenshot of what i get. So which one do i click on? Is there a blank template somewhere? 

Sorry for the very stupid question but I am very new as you can tell but i realy want to learn. 

I have to guide to AutoCAD 2015 book from the library but it's for windows not mac (i wasn't reading. i just borrowed it and went home)

All answers appreciated. Thank you very much!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi,

the position in your screenshot shows the dialog to select a drawing template.

A drawing template is a drawing with basic settings (and basic content) needed to start. There is no "empty" drawing without settings as every drawing has settings like default text styles, dimension styles, a layer "0", at least one layout, a current view (zoom area) with a visual style ... and a lot more. Compare that to a word file, if you open word you also get an empty page with predefined page-size, default font/size/color/...

Now you can select one of the templates listed here to start your drawing, depending on what units you are working with (imperial or metric) you can decide ACAD.DWT (for imperial settings) or ACADISO.DWT (for metric settings). When you have some experience with AutoCAD (and know some of the important drawing settings) then you can start with other templates and look for the differences, see if they are useful for you or not .... or (most common) create your own template that has your settings, your layers, your block-definitions, your layouts, .... and every time you create a new drawing all these objects are already finished/defined in the new drawing as you need it.

>> I have to guide to AutoCAD 2015 book from the library but it's for windows not mac

The concept of how to draw is equal for AutoCAD on Windows or on Mac/OS-X, just the GUI is different. I'm sure at the beginning it's not easy to learn from books that are written (have screenshots) for AutoCAD in Windows, but you'll find a lot more books for Windows-AutoCAD than for Mac-AutoCAD.

Good luck with AutoCAD, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 3

Thank you so much! This helped me alot and I will check your book. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost