Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I rotate one object at a time to an "unknown" angle?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JC6626
505 Views, 4 Replies

How can I rotate one object at a time to an "unknown" angle?

Hi,
I am (very!!) new to AutoCAD and am currently using the 2015 version. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask my question, but it's worth a try.
I have two problems that I can't figure out, both using the same (2) block figures (see attachements).

1) I have two identical block figures. I need to rotate them to a specific and "unknown" angle (x, y and z planes). I say "unknown" because I need them to match my images (see 2 bmp images in attachements), but do not know the exact angle of those images. I have tried using 3DROTATE, but this only allows me to write in an angle, which ends up not being precise enough. I am able to match my images using the ORBIT, but I know this doesn't acctually rotate the object to where I want it to "stay"... (I wish I could click a button after using the ORBIT so that it would copy the figure in that specific angle..)

2) After having rotated both block figures to the exact angle, I need to measure the angular differences (angular disparities) between both figures, on all three axes. With figures at random angles (since I still haven't figured out problem #1), I have tried using the LINE command to try and compare the two...but do not understand the results.

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can help, it is really appreciated!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Patchy
in reply to: JC6626

3DALIGN could be a better command

Message 3 of 5
steven-g

without knowing what you are trying to do it's hard to give a definate answer, you could try changing the UCS to VIEW copy the block with base point, then change the UCS back to WORLD and paste, but I have no idea if that will help in your situation.

Message 4 of 5
JC6626
in reply to: steven-g

In short, I need to measure the angle disparity (x, y and z) between the two figures. I will give this a try, thanks!
Message 5 of 5
steve216586

1. I typically use Rotate UCS by two points to align my view to the object. In your case, that would be two points on the image in which you want to align the block. Type PLAN and use Current. The view should rotate to your image orientation.

Then with Polar Tracking ON, I insert my block, then select the command ROTATE. I use "by reference" and select my base point,  a point on the block then a point on my image to align with or using Tracking, 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees. Then set UCS back to World. Type PLAN and use current.

Follow the same steps to insert second block if rotation is different.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost