Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I efficiently navigate around a 3D pointcloud?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jchesley
197 Views, 1 Reply

How can I efficiently navigate around a 3D pointcloud?

Hello,

I have a two fairly simple questions.  I am new to AutoCAD so pardon my lack of knowledge.  

1) How can you quickly switch between different modes of navigation while working with a pointcloud?

I've been watching a few tutorials online and it seems like they all seemlessly navigate around their point clouds with no problem.  However when I am navigating around a pointcloud I constantly have to keep switching between orbit and my cursor.  The only way I know how to do this is by clicking on the navigator toolbox and clicking on the orbit icon, but there must be a faster way to switch between the two. 

2) How can I make it so the focal point in 3D orbit isn't fixed on my pointcloud after the first time I click on it?

I occasionaly run into a situation when I'll switch to 3D orbit the focal point is fixed in one spot on the pointcloud and I won't be able to change it. After spending some time trying to figure out how to make it so the focal point changes when I click on a different area in the point cloud I end up giving up after many unsuccessful attempts.  Then at some point I must hit or do something by accident, because I'll switch back to 3D orbit and the focal point will change everytime I click on a different point in the pointcloud. 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers,

John

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: jchesley

Hi,

Add 1)

using <SHIFT> <MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON> start's the orbit directly in transparent mode, no need to click into the menu to start it.

Add 2)

>> How can I make it so the focal point in 3D orbit isn't fixed

That depends on your AutoCAD version, I'm used to select the object of interest before starting into orbit mode, so the center of the selected object(s) are my orbit center.

With AutoCAD 2015 there is a new systemvariable ORBITAUTOTARGET (>>>details<<<) that might be of help for you.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost