AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

ampreston85
Message 1 of 15 (446 Views)

Help with basic settings

446 Views, 14 Replies
02-05-2013 11:11 PM

Okay, so it's been quite some time since I've worked with AutoCAD and need some assistance. I have forgotten how to set up the limits, zoom, and units for architecture. I want it so the grid is rather dense, and each grid line is 6". I need it set up so I can create floor plans for homes both small and large. I've forgotten how to change the limits and zoom so the screen is roughly 80' wide by 50' tall if this helps. Thanks for all your help

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 15 (439 Views)

Re: Help with basic settings

02-06-2013 01:07 AM in reply to: ampreston85

Hi,

press <F1> and search for LIMITS .... doesn't that work?

press <F1> and search for UNITS .... same as above!

(...or type in the word LIMTS or UNITS followed by <ENTER> and then press <F1>)

Sorry to use that type of answer, but your question is so global that we would have to rewrite the complete manual/help file for that chapters to give you a complete answer.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
ampreston85
Message 3 of 15 (434 Views)

02-06-2013 01:59 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA
Okay, maybe I didn't ask the right question lol... So when I was in college, there was some simple changes that we made before we began any architectural documents. I've forgotten those, but still remember the end result. When you open up AutoCAD 2013 to a new document, the grid that is shown is EXACTLY how I want it to look (in terms of it's density/spacing on my screen), however I don't know what settings to change so that the spacing between each grid line is equal to 6". I already know how to change units to architectural, and turn on snap and all that good stuff, I just cannot remember how to make it so the grid that is shown represents 6" per gridline, if that makes sense. -- Sincerely, Adam Preston
ampreston85
Message 4 of 15 (433 Views)

02-06-2013 01:59 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Okay, maybe I didn't ask the right question lol... So when I was in college, there was some simple changes that we made before we began any architectural documents. I've forgotten those, but still remember the end result. When you open up AutoCAD 2013 to a new document, the grid that is shown is EXACTLY how I want it to look (in terms of it's density/spacing on my screen), however I don't know what settings to change so that the spacing between each grid line is equal to 6". I already know how to change units to architectural, and turn on snap and all that good stuff, I just cannot remember how to make it so the grid that is shown represents 6" per gridline, if that makes sense. :smileyfrustrated:

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 5 of 15 (431 Views)

02-06-2013 02:08 AM in reply to: ampreston85

Hi,

>> I just cannot remember how to make it so the grid that is shown represents 6" per gridline

Right-click on the mouse is my best friend, and if you right click onto the button for the grid you can see an option "Settings" to go to :smileywink:

2013-02-06 11-02-43.png

And if you have done all these settings you can save this new drawing as template so it can be used for every new drawing you create then (also see the options for QNEW >>>click (and scroll down to "Template Settings"<<< where you can define your default template file).

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
ampreston85
Message 6 of 15 (424 Views)

02-06-2013 02:24 AM in reply to: ampreston85

In fact, I am even able to set the grid spacing to 6" per line, but as soon as I save that setting it appears to zoom in so 6" goes a quarter way across my screen. I don't know how to correct this so the grid is small again. So I guess ultimately, I don't know what limit or zoom setting to change that will make my 'canvas' larger, enabling me to zoom out accordingly... :smileyfrustrated:

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 7 of 15 (410 Views)

02-06-2013 06:51 AM in reply to: ampreston85

Okay, so it's been quite some time since I've worked with AutoCAD and need some assistance. I have forgotten how to set up the limits, zoom, and units for architecture. I want it so the grid is rather dense, and each grid line is 6". I need it set up so I can create floor plans for homes both small and large. I've forgotten how to change the limits and zoom so the screen is roughly 80' wide by 50' tall if this helps. Thanks for all your help

Start with:

Units, choose Architectural and choose your unit precision.

Grid, right click on the icon and set spacing (You already found out how) Use snap to grid, and set snap increment size.

Command: LIMITS, select 0,0,0 enter then type in the upper right corner coordinates (with feet mark) of the house size.

Limits again, choose ON

Zoom command, E or A , then enter.

Mentor
KateMorrical
Message 8 of 15 (408 Views)

02-06-2013 06:53 AM in reply to: ampreston85

Perhaps you just need to REGEN to reset your zoom area? Then scroll in/out with the mouse wheel as desired...

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager
Washington, DC
BIMmuse.com
potscatton
Message 9 of 15 (372 Views)

02-22-2013 10:40 AM in reply to: ampreston85

As I so often see in the “replies” you have been getting, some are superficial/incomplete and some are “snooty”. Like yourself, I favor (and was originally taught) drawing “full size” and then plotting to scale.

To draw a “house” that is, for example, 36’ by 24’, set the LIMITS to, say, 48’ x 36’.

I chose those numbers because I like to keep the limits proportional to 12 by 9 and still have a comfortable margin surrounding my floor plan.)

To do that: type LIMITS <enter> then 0,0 <enter> then 48’,36’ <enter>.

Note that AutoCAD’s number default is INCHES so for AutoCAD to recognize your input for the limits as FEET be sure to add the “foot” mark. (OR use 576,432) (576 inches is equal to 48 feet.)

To set the GRID to, say, 2 feet (my preference) type GRID <enter> 24 <enter>

[or GRID <enter> 2’ <enter>] I’d set it to 6 minor to each major (GRID <enter> M <enter> 6 <enter>) that way the “major’ increments are every 12 feet. Lastly, to set the SNAP to 6 inches, a common architectural increment, type SNAP <enter> 6 <enter>. Finally, do a ZOOM-ALL (Z <enter> A <enter>)

If you want to PLOT in ¼ architectural scale, that is a scale of ¼ inch = 1 foot or ¼ inch = 12 inches which is actually 1/48th size so use a PLOT scale of 1/48.

Make your LAYOUT and TEXT sizes 48 times larger than you normally would.

(If you want the text to end up plotting at 1/8th height, then create the text 48 times oversize or .125*48=6; Make the text 6 inches in height or .5’)

To save this for future use, do a SAVE-AS and set the file-type to TEMPLATE and name the template ARCHITECTURAL.25.

Contributor
sparkscq90
Message 10 of 15 (320 Views)

02-24-2013 06:07 AM in reply to: potscatton

potscatton, I realy liked what you wrote and thought it was what I needed but alass, I am working on2d, autocad lt, and it said invalid for 2d. I have been able to work easily with offset, fillet, zoom and other commands but still haven't got what I need for demensions. I want to draw some floor plans but the demensions throw me. I do want to be able to use feet and inches iwhen showing demensions plus using arrows. If you have any sugestions I would appreciated it.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.