AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Valued Contributor
w64bit
Message 21 of 46 (1,372 Views)

Re: Help shape the future of AutoCAD

06-15-2012 02:59 AM in reply to: Ravi_Akella

Before shaping the future, please fix the present.

AutoCAD 2012 SP2 bugs
=====================

4. Turn OTRACK off. Turn OSNAP on.
Set OSNAP "perpendicular".
Options > Drafting > Alignment Point Acquisition = Automatic.
Draw a line => click first point, click the second one. After the second point, perpendicular dash line and marker appears, like for "extension" osnap.

Workaround: Alignment Point Acquisition = Shift to acquire.

Conclusion: Dash line and marker should never be displayed for "perpendicular" osnap.
=======================================
7. Insert a block.
BEDIT the block > the window has the correct thumbnail preview image size (like it is on Open file dialog).
REFEDIT the block > the window has a very small thumbnail preview image size (!?!).

Conclusion: The thumbnail preview image size should be large also for REFEDIT a block.
8. Insert > DWG Reference > select DWG file > Open.
In the "Attach External Reference" window, DWG preview background is always white.

Conclusion: DWG preview should respect the real drawing background color, like it is for any DWG preview inside the program (edit block, refedit, Open, SaveAs ...).
10. Purge window => "Purge all" icon is the old 2004 DWG icon (!?!).

Conclusion: the icon should be the DWG current icon.
11. TEMPOVERRIDES=1
When I try to turn on ORTHO using Shift key override, there is 1/2 second delay, which is annoying.

Conclusion: Please eliminate this delay in order to make the command snappy.
12. DTEXTED = 0 or 2.
Double click to edit a single line text. All text is selected.
Move the mouse cursor over the selected text. The cursor is the "arrow" type.
The cursor should be "text select" type (vertical cursor). It was like this in R2006.
Because the cursor is "arrow" type, it is necessary to click once to deselect the text and after that to put the cursor inside the text or to select the part of it.
This leads to an extra click when do single line editing.

Conclusion: Please eliminate this extra click in this way:
- when editing a single line text and all text is selected (at the beginning of editing or during it), the cursor over the selected text should be "text select" type.
- when only a part of the text is selected, the cursor over the selected text should be "arrow" type, in order to drag and drop selected text.
13. Create a single or multiline line text.
Enter editing > select a piece of text > try to move it to another location.

Problem: The positioning vertical marker is not displayed.
14. Start a new drawing.
Make a new layer named YELLOW = color yellow.
Make a second layer named RED = color red.

Make layer YELLOW current.
Draw any type of dimension using layer YELLOW => the dimension is yellow.
DDEDIT on the dimension => text inside editor is yellow (ByLayer) > OK.

Make layer RED current.
DDEDIT on the dimension => text inside editor is red (ByLayer) > not OK.

Conclusion: The text color inside editor should keep the color of layer assigned to the dimension, and not the current one.
15. Start a new drawing.
Assign color red to layer 0.
Make a new layer, assign color yellow and make it current.
DIST > pick first point => the dynamic line has the color of layer 0 instead of being white.
MEASUREGEOM + Distance > pick first point => the dynamic line has the color of layer 0 instead of being white.

Conclusion: The dynamic line should respect the color of Dynamic Dimension Lines given in the Options > Display > Colors.
16. Draw a rectangle.
PLOT > Set the plot area using Window button.
Choose the corners of the rectangle > The area is defined.
Click again on the Window button and zoom in as much as possible to a rectangle corner => the highlighted area is not displayed correctly (is shifted from the rectangle edges).
17. Open a drawing. Go to the layout.
PLOT > Set the plot area using Window button.
Choose the corners of the area to be plotted > The area is defined.
Click again on the Window button => the area previous defined is not highlighted, like it is in Model space.

Conclusion: The selected zone should be highlighted, like it is in Model space.
18. A computer with:
- Windows 7
- ClearType OFF (Smooth edges of screen font OFF).

MEASUREGEOM + Distance > after picking second point, temporary dimensions appears with measured values.
This values have ClearType ON even if inside OS ClearType is turned OFF.

Conclusion: These temporary dimension values should respect the OS ClearType setting like it is for all dynamic input inside AutoCAD.
19. A computer with:
- Windows 7 + Aero
- ClearType OFF (Smooth edges of screen font OFF).

All dynamic input text has ClearType always ON no matter if it was turned off inside Windows.

Conclusion:
Please correct text rendering in order to respect the Windows settings.
20. Turn on UCS icon. Turn off Origin.

Pan command or pan realtime (using wheelmouse) from right to left => UCS icon is moving outside the screen.
This happens for model and for layout.

Pan command or pan realtime from left to right => UCS icon is moving on the screen.

After finishing panning, UCS icon position is reverted back to the lower left corner.

Conclusion:
UCS icon should not move outside or on the screen when panning, like it was for 2010 and previous versions.
21. Draw a rectangle.

Inquire area by:
MEASUREGEOM > AREA
or
AREA

Problem: The highlighted zone is shifted from the rectangle.
24. Create an MTEXT with large limits.
Type some text > save and close editor.

Problem: These large limits are kept until you resize them manually.

Solution: Please add a variable or set this by default:
after save and close the mtext editor the text limits to shrink automatically near the text, in order to be as smaller as possible, without changing the text formatting.
26. Start a new drawing.
Dimension Style Manager > Modify > Primary units.
Zero suppression > turn ON Trailing by checking the checkbox.
OK + Close Dimension Style Manager.

Problem: Open again Dimension Style Manager => Trailing is not checked.
27. Start a new drawing.
Draw a line with layer 0 (zero).
Copy to clipboard (Ctrl+C) the line.
Create a layer having red color, named RED.
Set layer RED current.
Paste the line (Ctrl+V). Do not click to add the line to the drawing.
The line has the red color (of the current layer) instead the color of layer 0.

Before paste (also) the line should have the color of the 0 layer.
This happens with all entities drawn with layer 0.
29. Insert 2 viewports in a layout.
Lock one viewport using the lock button on AutoCAD status bar.
Select both viewports.

Problem: You cannot lock/unlock all selected viewports using the lock button, when at least one of the vieports is locked and the rest of them are unlocked.
31. Before adding any color in the color drop down list toolbar, the items are fitting the list height. No space remains after the last item.
If I add a new color, the list is expanded only by 5 pixels and the scrollbar is active.
Please make the color drop down list to expand correctly in order to display the new item.

Also, any other dropdown list, like Layer, Linetypes, Lineweights, Dimstyles, are expanding when adding a new item, up to approx 30 lines.
I propose to make Color dropdown list the same: to be expandable and longer in order not to use scrollbar for only few items added.
I think that this list was the single one not updated since R 2000.
32. On Ribbon or toolbars, in the Layer drop down list are displayed:
- On/Off
- Thawed/Frozen
- VP Thaw/VP Freeze
- Unlocked/Locked
The default state for a layer is On, Thawed, VP Thaw and Unlocked.
For On, Thawed, VP Thaw the icon color is yellow.

Problem:
For Unlocked the icon color is blue.

Solution:
I think that the color of the Unlocked icon (in the default state) must be changed to yellow in order to be the same as the rest of the icons.
Any user will know that when the color is:
- yellow, the layer is in the default state;
- blue, the state is changed.
33. Linetype Manager > Show Details
Problem:
Global Scale Factor and Current Object Scale values are always displayed with 4 digits of precision.

Solution:
These values should be displayed with zero suppression (trailing) like it is for Dimension Style Manager values.
34. Windows 7 + AutoCAD x64
Plot > Plot Style Table Editor > Form View > Plot Styles
Cannot select multiple styles using mouse window select
35. Options > Check "Shortcut menu in drawing area"
Open Right-click Customization > Check "Turn on time-sensitive right click"
Apply & Close

Replicate bug:
Create a new drawing > draw a line
Select the line + Long right click
For this long right-click we have line "drag and drop" !?!

We should have Shortcut Menu instead, because we turned ON long click for displaying Shortcut Menu.
37. You corrected ClearType (font rendering) for Ribbon. When I turn it OFF inside Windows, is turned OFF in AutoCAD. Good job. Thank you very much.
Please correct it for Layer Manager also.
38. When you enter a true color value in the Index Color tab an error message appears: "Not a valid color name or value".
Please eliminate this error message and correct this in order that all input boxes from all tabs to allow any type of color input (ACI, True color, Color Books) and to switch to corresponding tab type automatically.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 22 of 46 (1,350 Views)

06-15-2012 05:23 AM in reply to: w64bit

So does this mean you all (and I mean everyone here, not just you my friend) did sign up to Ravi's link at the top of this thread to find out and contribute these thoughts, or are we talking arm-chair-couching here "let someone else deal with it I'm too busy" excuse?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ImpactAutoCAD1

Excellent list BTW, I agree with most of it.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
KimBruns
Message 23 of 46 (1,349 Views)

06-15-2012 05:31 AM in reply to: Ravi_Akella

Hello Ravi,  are you out there?  We haven't heard from you in a week since you asked the question of what we want.

Seems like most of us want Autodesk to clean up the application.  Make it more efficient and bug free.  Stop with the new features and fix, clean up, and debug what you currently have.  Read 1000 Paper Cuts from AUGI as someone previously mentioned.

We know your programmers aren't going to be thrilled with what we're asking because it's not new and exciting. We know it's not fun to tie up all the loose ends, but that's what debugging is all about.  Aren't you guys tired of putting out an unfinished product?  I am, and we're paying for it. 

I tried to convince my bosses to stop the subscription but they wanted to stay current.  I'll try again next year if things don't change.  Maybe I'll eventually convince them.

Sorry, but I'm tired of the B.S.

I remember when I was a kid in the '60's, the words "Made In Japan" meant junk.  In the '50's, Dr. W. Edwards Deming, an expert in quality went to the Big 3 (GM, Ford,and Chrysler) and tried to tell them how to improve their cars in quality, they didn't want to listen to him.  So he went to Japan and they listened to him.  After Toyota and Honda started putting out better quality cars than the Big 3 then they became interested in quality but by then it was too late, Honda and Toyata were the leaders in quality. And Big 3 are still gradually catching up.

To summerize Deming said the problem starts with management, not the workers.

Have a nice day.

Kim

Product Design Suite 2015
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Xeon E31270 @ 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000
Valued Contributor
KimBruns
Message 24 of 46 (1,346 Views)

06-15-2012 05:36 AM in reply to: w64bit

Great list w64bit. Boy you spent some time compiling that list. Nice job.

I could go on and on about the ribbon and cui but that is a fruitless, thankless task.

Kim

Product Design Suite 2015
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Xeon E31270 @ 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000
Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 25 of 46 (1,303 Views)

06-17-2012 09:39 PM in reply to: pendean

pendean wrote:

So does this mean you all (and I mean everyone here, not just you my friend) did sign up to Ravi's link at the top of this thread to find out and contribute these thoughts, or are we talking arm-chair-couching here "let someone else deal with it I'm too busy" excuse?

Excellent list BTW, I agree with most of it.

The survey is a sign-up form, and I received an email invitation to an identical sign-up form a while later (different link, same contents). Filled in the first, didn't bother with the second. I don't know if anything will ever come of it, but if it does it will probably be an invitation to participate in limited testing of some new feature Autodesk has already decided to add, whatever people say about it. Or maybe it's just a trawl for Beta participants in an attempt to replace those who have understandably given up trying. Whatever, I'm 100% certain that one thing that won't come of it is addressing the points that people are making here.

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
Valued Mentor
mrkaplan
Message 26 of 46 (1,291 Views)

06-18-2012 04:32 AM in reply to: w64bit

Content explorer is a good example .

there is an almost identical feature that is Design Center .  Why not simply upgrade it with new functionalities , instead of starting from scratch . 

its also obvious autodesk tries again to promote 'autodesk seek' library  where they have partnership with other companies .

Contributor
Ravi_Akella
Message 27 of 46 (1,255 Views)

06-18-2012 12:14 PM in reply to: Ravi_Akella

Hi Everyone,

Your comments on this thread are duly noted by me and my colleagues on the AutoCAD team and we recognize that a lot of these issues have been brought up before.

The recruitment survey that I posted last week (at the beginning of this thread) is part of a new effort by the AutoCAD team to gather feedback earlier than the usual alpha and beta cycles. Our plan is to factor this feedback into our development plan early so that we can tighten up the quality and user experience and deliver a solid product.

I want to encourage you again to fill out the survey link below to sign up; the team is currently reviewing all the responses and matching users to specific feedback projects.

Also, my colleagues and I are seeking more opportunities to interact with our customers.  If you would like to speak to one of us to discuss your concerns in detail, please send me a private message with your contact information (phone number and email).  We’ll do our best to get in touch in a timely manner.

Best regards,

Ravi

Distinguished Contributor
donande
Message 28 of 46 (1,210 Views)

06-19-2012 10:43 AM in reply to: Ravi_Akella

Ravi, thank you for recognizing our feedback.

Please understand the reason why us posters are so zealous about this software is because it is often a key part of our jobs/careers. 

And when we have to tell our boss we are running behind because of a software issue and by the way here is the bill for renewing its subscription, we are not in the mod or have time to be as polite as normal.

With that said I hope when selecting new features the team please keep in mind most of us want to be more productive and not so much wowing the customers.

So look over currently highly used features and find ways to improve them.

For example let’s look at “Match Properties” and “Tool Palettes” each are great features that really increased our productivity.  

What if you combine them and create a Set Properties command?

So for example a user could click of a command called “A-Wall-Interior” and clicking on this make the crosshair turns into a box with a paintbrush, ready to set any object to the properties they have set up for the command.

So a “Set Properties” command would remove the need to find an object with the properties you want, and even the need for one to be currently on your drawing.

With AutoCAD having no real competition Autodesk has the rare freedom to be more open about what features they are working on, and hope they take advantage of that fact.

The AutoCAD team are expects in programming not using AutoCAD, and we are experts in using and not programming.

We need to work together, and it is up to Autodesk to open the line of communication.

Thank you,

Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 29 of 46 (1,183 Views)

06-19-2012 06:59 PM in reply to: Ravi_Akella

Ravi_Akella wrote:

The recruitment survey that I posted last week (at the beginning of this thread) is part of a new effort by the AutoCAD team to gather feedback earlier than the usual alpha and beta cycles. Our plan is to factor this feedback into our development plan early so that we can tighten up the quality and user experience and deliver a solid product.

I'm glad to hear this, and I really hope something significant comes of it.
Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
a3dtot
Message 30 of 46 (1,137 Views)

06-21-2012 03:38 PM in reply to: dgorsman

What you say may be true. But the problem still persists. I never upgrade to the latest file change version for example we used 2009 until recently when we upgraded to 2013. 2010 was a complete waste 2011 not much better 2012 was barely ok and so far 2013 is working well. So while autodesk may make changes yearly they are mostly unusable for at least 3-4 years. Since we are on subscription, I just stack up the disks for the next few years until it is a viable program.

So even though you say it is very complex and difficult, which I would agree, the program is not really good until a much later version.

Autodesk has had this problem for many years at least since 2000. I have been using autocad since 2.6 and it's true I am an autocad geezer. But as an example: The difference between 2.6 and Rel 9. was phenominal and well worth the change. The difference between rel 9 and rel 10 again was truly exceptional, true 3d inovations so long ago. rel 11 not so much, rel 12 became the standard in my industry for many years. Some moved to rel 14 but most stayed with rel 12.

2000 came out and it was terrible, not until 2004 and then again to 2009. So this has been a long running problem and not something that has just started.

Maybe one day I will be able to upgrade and not have to go back to the previous version because the new one should still have been in BETA.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.